New Lounger
    Thanks

AMD driver stops responding

Ever since my computer (running windows 7) uploaded EI 10, I am plagued with the problems of "AMD driver has stopped responding and has recovered." The screen freezes up and then goes black and comes back on in about 5 seconds with the message "AMD driver has recovered." Anyone got any clues to what's causing this and how to rectify this problem? Also have had the computer freeze up a couple of times and had to do a forced restart.

Thanks
    I had some issues with IE 10 in Windows 7. I recommend that you go back to IE 9.

In Control Panel / Programs and Features, uninstall it from each list that it appears in:

* Uninstall or Change a Program
    * View Installed Updates
    * Turn Windows Features on or off

I had to remove it from two of those lists; I don't recall which two.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

F.U.N. downtown (2013-08-13)

Thanks
    Like Jim, I suspect the issues you see may be caused by IE10, or more specifically, the pre-requisite KB patch http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838 that would have been installed at the same time; I had to uninstall both IE10 and then the KB, followed by blocking IE10 from downloading/installing.

My hardware is more recent (and is not portable) than that listed in the KB page, I saw corruption in IE10 and several other programs, as did many others.

Some discussion on it here: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2228
    Last edited by satrow; 2013-08-13 at 12:26.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

F.U.N. downtown (2013-08-13)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I just had the same symptom happen to a new [Win 7] build that updated to I.E. 10 and I didn't catch it in time. Ran it today and it crashed on first link click. Now the screen just went black, everything else was running as far as I could tell but this one didn't recover, had to reboot from hard off. This is on an Nvidia card though; same issue? Needless to say I'm 86ing 10 and the pre-requisite in hopes it won't occur again.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I bet that was it and you saved me a bunch of time, after uninstalling and rebooting the system booted faster again, it had started to pause for about 12-15 seconds with loss of video just before the login screen; enough time for the loss of signal display to come up and shut the display down, but this last time it came through that section in just 3 or 4 seconds. We shall see as they say but the signs are good.

Edit: ...and now 9 is not crashing...
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-08-13 at 23:47.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    I just had the same symptom happen to a new [Win 7] build that updated to I.E. 10 and I didn't catch it in time. Ran it today and it crashed on first link click. Now the screen just went black, everything else was running as far as I could tell but this one didn't recover, had to reboot from hard off. This is on an Nvidia card though; same issue? Needless to say I'm 86ing 10 and the pre-requisite in hopes it won't occur again.
    What does it mean to "86" something?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/86_(term)

BTW, perfect so far and I've been stressing the graphics a little with more to come, still too soon to be sure but ya know how ya get a strong hunch about things just from it's reaction? I have that.

Thanks
    IE 10 does not seem to be compatible with all Win 7 installations. I have never seen any of these problems on my Win 8 installations. There do seem to be many more reported problems on those systems that updated IE 9 to IE10. Perhaps these problems will be worked out at some point in time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, I'm a believer, the most surprising thing was the pause before the login screen came up. All the post SP1 updates downloaded and installed automatically so that's 95+ updates to pick from and didn't even know the extra boot time was relatable. So what turns out to be a fortuitous graphics corruption in conjunction with seeing this post recovered that lull before login as well as the system's stability; at least a far as 24 hours of poking and prodding (remote desktop switching, running several different games and several sleep cycles) without a hitch can be called stable. Case closed for me.