Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft re-issues last month's .NET updates

PATCH WATCH

Microsoft re-issues last month's .NET updates

By Susan Bradley

It might be the dog days of summer, but there's no relief from the annoying task of updating .NET Framework. To everyone's surprise, Microsoft rereleased last month's .NET updates for Windows. If you installed them, you'll need to do it again.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/microsoft-re-issues-last-months-net-updates/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2013-08-14 at 18:31.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the great advice Susan. A question to consider. I recently upgraded from XP to Win 7. In the process of resintalling MS Office Applications I ended up keeping several older versions of specific applications and several other old applications. The Microsoft update site has proposed many updates to the older versions of .net and also the MS office suite. Which raises the question:
    Should I allow all the old updates to install or try to pick through them and only install the ones which appear to be for a specific application? Some updates aren't clearly identified. e.g. .NET 3 or generic MS Office 07 updates. If I just install all the old updates - does that cause an impact to my system (other than just taking up space)? Am I doing more harm by picking some and not all?
    Mike

Thanks
    @ML Taylor --

I had unusually many and severe issues with the July .NET updates, and they continue to throw up issues with other folks. Read on.

@Susan Bradley --

I am not surprised to see the .NET July Patches re-released, based onmy own issues with the .NET 4.0 Windows 7 patches. Susan, you and Woody Leonhard are well aware of what I and (at least) a few other "pioneers" went through with these patches. DEFINITELY install these new updates separately from all other MS Updates, and only one .NET version at a time, starting with your oldest version and working upward. That worked even with the botched patches, so it should avoid similar issues this time around.

I am also not surprised at continuing tweaking of the Windows Media Patch. I had no problems with it, but I am not a video enthusiast.

I expect new updates for Firefox, Chrome and IE (all versions) at least once more this month. (Based on the Pwn2Own results and continuing vulnerability issues in all three browsers.)

Typo in your article -- transposed letters -- First occurrence of RCP should be RPC.

IE 10 has been working reasonably well in Windows 7 SP1 64-bit on my Toshiba Satellite laptop for a few months now.

There are six of the server/admin patches which have known issues now. Maybe put all on hold?
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2013-08-16 at 02:21.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    .Net update failures are almost always caused by a corrupted .Net installation. Usually easily fixed by uninstalling all .Net instances and installing a fresh copy of .Net 4.5
    I haven't run across a client PC that I wasn't able to repair .Net so that the updates work.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    .Net update failures are almost always caused by a corrupted .Net installation. Usually easily fixed by uninstalling all .Net instances and installing a fresh copy of .Net 4.5
    I haven't run across a client PC that I wasn't able to repair .Net so that the updates work.

Jerry
    You are so right, Jerry! In fact, that's one of the many details about my July .NET failure and rebuild which I left out so as not to scare too many folks away from EVER updating .NET Framework!

FWIW, there are ripout and diagnostic and repair tools available for all degrees of damages to .NET Framework. If anyone has specific needs for these tools, we can post them.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2013-08-15 at 16:35.
    -- Bob Primak --

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ML Taylor View Post
    Thanks for the great advice Susan. A question to consider. I recently upgraded from XP to Win 7. In the process of resintalling MS Office Applications I ended up keeping several older versions of specific applications and several other old applications. The Microsoft update site has proposed many updates to the older versions of .net and also the MS office suite. Which raises the question:
    Should I allow all the old updates to install or try to pick through them and only install the ones which appear to be for a specific application? Some updates aren't clearly identified. e.g. .NET 3 or generic MS Office 07 updates. If I just install all the old updates - does that cause an impact to my system (other than just taking up space)? Am I doing more harm by picking some and not all?
    Mike
    Due to how or what you updates it's very likely you have leftover Office versions. Case in point if you go from some versions of Office 2007 to different versions of Office 2010 that don't have the same offerings, your 2007 versions are left behind. You really do have those older pieces behind and Windows update is reacting to that.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Watch out everyone. Microsoft has pulled back several updates this month. http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft...-update-224988

Among them is MS13-063, the Windows Kernel patch. Good thing Susan told us to put it on hold.

The other patches that have problems are MS13-061 (which Susan warned us about) and MS13-066 (ADFS) which Susan didn't warn us about.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You won't see ADFS on a workstation. It's only a server and even then it's typically in much larger implementations that you would be testing first.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A friend had a problem on Thursday, most likely to to MS Updates they let install on Tuesday.

In the middle of the working day, the screen suddenly went black and announced her activation was invalid. She was asked to click a link to reactivate. It evidently implied if she didn't Win7 was toast. After some discussion and trepidation, she did so and the system reactivated and returned to normal. Everything, that is except the desktop background image setting was lost.

Have no idea which update that was bundled with but it's the only explanation I can think of for this.

The day after I did my updates, there was a bootup message that my system had been updated so it seems this round included something that needed a couple of reboots.

Per Alan, I noticed KB2859537 (MS13-063) was deselected in this mornings update nag.
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=309338
    As he mentioned, Susan had recommended we wait on that one. Another bit of sage advice to be happy about.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidFB View Post
    A friend had a problem on Thursday, most likely to to MS Updates they let install on Tuesday.

In the middle of the working day, the screen suddenly went black and announced her activation was invalid. She was asked to click a link to reactivate. It evidently implied if she didn't Win7 was toast. After some discussion and trepidation, she did so and the system reactivated and returned to normal. Everything, that is except the desktop background image setting was lost.

Have no idea which update that was bundled with but it's the only explanation I can think of for this.

The day after I did my updates, there was a bootup message that my system had been updated so it seems this round included something that needed a couple of reboots.

Per Alan, I noticed KB2859537 (MS13-063) was deselected in this mornings update nag.
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=309338
    As he mentioned, Susan had recommended we wait on that one. Another bit of sage advice to be happy about.
    I've had activation warnings in Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows XP for any of a number of truly trivial reasons. Sometimes an antivirus update, sometimes a third-party program update, sometimes a MS Update. Since it's usually fairly straightforward to run through WAT (formerly WGA) Verification at the Microsoft Sites, I just run the Verification Page or Tool and have done with it.

My most recent event like this was when MSE-4 received a Program Update a couple of months ago.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Overall my updates deployment to pilot machines went well but I have noticed one thing that I had a *.rdg (Remote Desktop manager) in my Documents, it is disappeared now. Is it deleted by any update? Any thoughts?

I have save my all servers list in that file, now I have to make a new one

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The .NET updates are a real puzzle to me. The few that I have installed over the last few years have caused not problems. However, of the 5 .NET updates that I'm still holding, only 2 were mentioned by Susan in this newsletter. I'm really puzzled as to what to do about the other 3? I also received 5 non-.NET updates that Susan did not mention. I'm always puzzled why I get them and Susan doesn't mention them and what I should do about them. I'm running Vista.

Bill

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In general, Patch Watch only includes security updates.

Bruce

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for pointing that out, Bruce. Maybe that is the answer to my puzzle.

As usual, I only installed the updates that Susan recommended this time and, for the first time I can remember something caused a problem! I use a Logitech Trackball and it was not recognized after installing these updates! I couldn't find any way to get it going so I did a System Restore to remove all of this set of updates and now the trackball is working again. I guess I will have to do incremental updates until I find which one caused the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to do this?

Thanks,
    Bill

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately you just do one at a time. Manually MU and uncheck everything BUT one and install that. Reboot, check your mouse

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast