5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Solving File History's 'excessive saves' bug

LANGALIST PLUS

Solving File History's 'excessive saves' bug

By Fred Langa

Some hard drives are filling up fast the result of a flaw in Windows 8's backup system that causes multiple, unneeded backups. Plus: Alternatives to Secunia's OSI/PSI, living with a malfunctioning monitor, and tools to migrate email from Thunderbird to Outlook.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/solving-file-historys-excessive-saves-bug/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I solved the exact same problem with my monitor as you wrote about by finding and replacing the swelling capacitors on my monitor's power supply PCB. I replaced all the caps with better quality ones since I had access, and I have had no more problems. In fact I repaired two more monitors that were having the same problem while at it. That was almost three years ago and they are still working fine.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,
    Regarding Don Taylor's issue with his monitor, couldn't he just turn off the monitor using the power button on the front instead of adding a power strip? Faster, cheaper and he gets the same power off to power on cycle. Plus he'll save a few pennies a year by not having the monitor in sleep mode overnight.