Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question Missing performance monitors in Windows 7

Can anyone tell me how to get back the missing performance monitors in my Windows 7 SP1 system (see attachment)? The first one is needed by HD Sentinel, a disk health monitoring program recommended by Loungers. I have just discovered that its disk performance tab is not working and, by working with their support (who have been wonderful), have got as far as determining what's missing.

We can't figure out why Windows successfully recreated all but these 2 monitors using "lodctr /r" so I'm hoping a Lounger can help. Realize it's a rather esoteric issue, however!

Hopefully,

Linda
    perfmon message.JPG

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to get back the missing performance monitors in my Windows 7 SP1 system
    Miss Linda,

Hello... Not sure this is what your after but check this ( screenshots ) make sure that there still set correctly. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Good to hear from you, JP Fred. I could find the items in your screen shots, tried to stop and then start monitoring but still get that same error message that Windows can't load those 2 counters. Quite puzzling, right? Think I'd better come at it fresh tomorrow - it's been frustrating me on and off all day!

I'm open to further ideas, if any should hit!

Thanks,

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm open to further ideas, if any should hit!
    Miss Linda,
    Hello.. Have a "Look See" ... I'm "Tryin".... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    You sure are, and thanks. Interesting: when I located the window you attached, mine said "Stopped" beside each item with Performance Monitor (attached shot). Could this be significant? Should I get them to start? If so, how?

Linda (although I'm very fond of "Miss Linda"!!)

System Configuration.JPG

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Linda,

To start the services:
    1. Click the Orb
    2. Type Services.msc
    3. Hit Enter
    4. Find the service on the list
    5. Right Click & select Properties
    6. You can start the service here and also set its future startup behavior. These services are set to manual on my Win 8 machine and HD Sentenial works just fine.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Aha! This sounds promising. Thanks, RG.

Found the right place; got the 2 items that had Performance started via Properties; show as Running now in the Sys Config screen from JP Fred as well as yours, BUT not showing in HD Sentinel.

Do I need to restart the PC (not done) as well as HD Sentinel (done)?

Linda

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Linda,

I wouldn't think that should be necessary but it surely can't hurt.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Will give it a try later today and post back.

Thanks,

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Will give it a try later today and post back.
    Miss Linda,

Hello... Been "thinkin" Try to remember the circumstances that this problem first manifested itself .. Could be the result of some "Update or Patch" (P\U's) Might provide some incite ...My HD Sentinel Has worked from day one, on all my OS's ...but then again i don't do the "P\U" thing.. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    First, RG, the restart didn't work. Still no disk performance on HD Sentinel.

Second, JP Fred, I agree: it must be something I did because there is no problem on the laptop's HD Sentinel. The challenge is that, since the disk has been Perfect, I haven't been monitoring disk performance for ages so not sure when this issue began. I do know it used to work just fine. I do patch and update following Susan Bradley's column's advice.

Should I bite the bullet and do a system restore going back a month or more and see what happens? This means all the patches would have to be re-applied, right?

It's so strange that Windows can get all the counters going again except the one HD Sentinel needs. I know it's proving unsolvable for Janos at support over there as well - and he's sure been trying.

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I do know it used to work just fine. I do patch and update following Susan Bradley's column's advice.

Should I bite the bullet and do a system restore going back a month or more and see what happens? This means all the patches would have to be re-applied, right?
    Miss Linda,

Hello.... As I never "patch" a working OS i can't say..However... I would proceed as follows

1. Depending on what "Uninstallers" that you have access to .. I would remove (Uninstall) HD Sentinel.

2. Use "Ultra File search" (free program) for the "leftovers" and remove them.... manually.

3. Use a "Reg" Cleaner\ Remover to get the Registry items left behind

4. Reinstall HD Sentinel.... see "what's sup"

5. If this proves unsuccessful... i then would try the "Restore Point"

6. You have an "Image" ? That you made before you had this problem ...you made one ...didn't you? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    It wouldn't hurt to do the month old System Restore. If it doesn't solve the problem, you can just Restore back to your current state. Yes, you not only would have to redo the patches but also reinstall any software that was installed in the interim.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, thank you both for your suggestions and/or detailed steps. Some answers and "a plan", in no particular order:

- I do have an image, but it's a few months old - I've been delinquent in doing them regularly. Still, a possible last resort

- think I'll try the uninstall first depending on answers to questions, below

- System Restore has saved my bacon in the past, so I will give it a try, if needed (or depending on question answers!); re-patching is not too onerous!

Questions

1. Is uninstall program via Control Panel okay to use?

2. I use CCleaner. Will the registry files for HD Sentinel be easy to find? I'm a tad nervous when "me" and "registry" appear in the same sentence!

Tomorrow is already set aside for "backup, image, PC/laptop cleanup" tasks, so this will fit perfectly into that slot.

Linda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Questions

1. Is uninstall program via Control Panel okay to use?

2. I use CCleaner. Will the registry files for HD Sentinel be easy to find? I'm a tad nervous when "me" and "registry" appear in the same sentence!

Tomorrow is already set aside for "backup, image, PC/laptop cleanup" tasks, so this will fit perfectly into that slot.
    Miss Linda,
    Hello...
    1. Yes to #1...

2. CCleaner can remove the program as well ...The "Registry Cleaner" function is a very "Mild" one. It will also give the opportunity to make a "Backup" of the Registry items to be remove.

3. Do the backup before you "mess" with anything ...If all is well after your "Tinkering" you can always delete it.

4. You have not mentioned "Ultra File Search" ...this is a most important step in removing a program that has problems..Many times there will be lots of leftovers... you need to remove them manually and then run the "Reg" cleaner ....Before the reinstall .

Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast