Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Roku: How does it taste to you?

I'm thinking of getting Roku http://www.roku.com/meet-roku so I can do away with my satellite subscription...

I pay 65.00 a month for satellite and Roku only cost 89.95 for the box and most of the stuff that I now pay for I can get for free on Roku...

From what I have read it seems to be a good replacement for the satellite I now pay for.

Any of you guys use it and if so what do you think of it ??

I would like some opinions pro or con if you have any.

Thanks
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It works well enough if you have a spare 3 to 6 megabits/s steady to stream with so you get a good quality video stream. We only used it for the time Netflix had home rental and streaming combined. When they split them into separate revenue streams we went for the BluRay rentals because our connection is under 1.5 megabit/s and that's too low for an acceptable quality stream. On-Demand doesn't necessarily mean On-Hand but if one has Amazon Prime already, might as well get the streaming service to go with it.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Thanks
    What kind of connection do you have..
    It seems like you have a real slow connection.

Here's a screen-shot of my speed test I did this morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If that's a steady bandwidth that does not go to heck and a hand basket around 8 P.M. when everyone in the neighborhood starts to stream from Netflix then you have plenty of bandwidth. We only have DSL and we're 11,000 ft. from the nearest substation so less than a tenth of that download bandwidth here and a quarter the upload rate.

Thanks
    I'll check it tonight.
    I'm in a pretty remote area and I have never noticed any slowdown..

But, I will check it tonight to make sure it is high..

I am gonna get the Roku 3. It's the best one of the ones they offer.

Are you able to schedule an evenings viewing on Roku or do you have to select each program as you watch them?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Back then everything was strictly go and get it. If one were watching a series on the same channel (Netflix in this case) then one could go right into the next episode but that was about it. There's nothing too fancy on the remote control so it's probably still pretty basic.

Thanks
    I don't know which one you had but I think it's improved a lot since then.
    The remote now has earphones you plug into it plus some other features...

Which Roku did you have?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    HD I believe. The main feature is probably how good the new interface and search is. It used to be virtual keyboard, use arrow keys to get to the letters to enter a search or rows and rows of icons in basic sub-categories.

Thanks
    Well, thanks for your opinions.
    I am gonna order it this week.

Nothing to lose, they have a 30 day money back guarantee..

Like I said earlier, it seems to have just about everything for free that I watch on satellite...

With Directv I can suspend my service so I will do that and see how the whole thing works out.

I'm tired of paying 65.00 a month to watch the same things over and over again.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, conceptually I think it's a great idea, I'm sure we would have re-upped for another unit (our remote control fell into a vase with water in it ) if our bandwidth allowed for the highest quality streaming.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have roku, and while we haven't cut the cord, we are finding lots of things on roku. Netflix, amazon prime and hulu are there, as well as many other paid services. We have friends who have cut the cord and are quite satisfied.

We did find a piece of software called PlayOn which is a server that runs on your pc in the background, and then streams many channels to roku. Many of these channels are cut down versions of the real thing, but others are full episodes. For example, we have discovered that Mythbusters only shows behind the scenes stuff, but history channel has lots of full episodes. it's fun to go to the a channel and pick what you want to watch. PlayOn costs $20-$40 (it also has a video recorder option for extra charge).

Try roku and see if it suits your needs.

Thanks
    Thanks Dale.

Which ROKU do you have?

I ordered Roku 3 the other day and from all the research I have done it seems I may be able to cut the cord and get rid of satellite.

I am going to suspend my satellite service for 3 months and rely on ROKU and see what it has.

From my research it seems I can get almost everything that satellite is showing and I wont have to pay for it..

Is the 20.00 for Playon a one time fee or monthly?

I'll give it a try and see what happens.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I switched to Roku 3 this month from satellite and have been happy thus far. There are lots of free kids' programming, music channels, technology channels in addition to some pay channels like Netflix and Hulu Plus. In addition to the above comments, I have Chromebook with HDMI output to watch episodes of TV series not available on Roku yet (or they are there and I haven't found them amongst the 100's of channels!) rather than the PlayOn or other similar software.

In only comment I didn't see was the existence of private channels. http://streamfree.tv/roku/private-channels/ has a long list of them but Nowhere TV seems to be the best of the lot with episodes of Connections from PBS for example available. Private channels are typically free but not ready for prime time so to speak so are not publicly published even though they are available to add.

Thanks
    Thanks Arizona.

You seem to supporting what I have found out so far.
    I have a netflix account and I don't have kids any longer, thank God, so children's programming doesn't interest me.

I was wondering if you can stream the Fox News Channel live..They have it listed in the channel lineup but I am not sure if it is tapes or live..
    If you can check that out for me I would appreciate it.

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thoughts.

I would love to do this, but my bandwidth is just too slow. I have a wrench to throw into the mix. You have your new Roku, you've cut the cord and the rest of the family wants to watch something other than what you want to. Make is simple, one spouse and one child. That now makes three Roku's in the house. What's your bandwidth needs now? I would love to ditch my satellite bills as well, but unless everyone wants to watch antennae, what does it take?
    At my house we seldom want to watch the same things. I'm not even counting if you want to watch sports venues.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast