New Lounger
    Thanks

how to share outlook.pst

I have a nice new Dell computer with Windows XP Home Edition. I have set it up so that my husband and I each have an account (administrator status). I would like to take the outlook.pst file from our old computer, that has both our email accounts, contacts, etc., and put that somewhere on the new computer so that we can continue to use it jointly, because we have one joint email address in addition to our individual ones. As it stands right now, because I was logged in as my husband when I imported the .pst file, the imported information is visible to my husband only. I'd dearly love to avoid the duplication if possible.

Is such a setup possible?

Thanks for any help or information!

Regards
    Mary Brodd

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: how to share outlook.pst

did you import the contents into his pst or just copy the pst to his folder?

to share the pst, share the folder. (add it to shared folders) i don't have home installed (only pro) and can't give the exact steps for sharing the steps - one of the other guys can if you need assistance with it. It should be in help though.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: how to share outlook.pst

MaryJ is correct--share the folder where you put your PST files. I installed XP two days ago and did the same thing with accounts for me and my wife. No need to duplicate the files. We have XP Pro, but this should work the same or similar for XP Home:

1. Right-click on the folder you need to share, choose Properties, Security tab.
    2. Click Add, type the name of the user to add and click OK.
    3. You'll be back at the Properties dialog box... click on the user you just added.
    4. Set Permissions to Full Control and click OK.

I assume this security setup is only necessary in programs that exercise some sort of access control, like Outlook. We haven't needed to explicity share any Office documents, graphics, etc.