Thanks

Google blocks YouTube again.

Here is Microsoft's response.
    And people really wonder why I hate Google?
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    John,

I don't like Google, but these mega corporations aren't essentially different from one another. There are many things that Microsoft has done lately that aren't flattering for them. I suppose with Google, it's just ironic that they wanted to be different. They have come a long way since their original "do no evil" mantra.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    True they have, and I agree MSFT has pulled some fast ones and done things that they shouldn't have. But this is just a new low! I mean what has Google proving? that they are so big that they can get a way with it and one either plays by their rules or you don't play?....... I think this is going to be a PR nightmare for them.
    It will be interesting to see their response.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    True they have, and I agree MSFT has pulled some fast ones and done things that they shouldn't have. But this is just a new low! I mean what has Google proving? that they are so big that they can get a way with it and one either plays by their rules or you don't play?....... I think this is going to be a PR nightmare for them.
    It will be interesting to see their response.
    They are huge on mobile and they are betting Windows Phone does not grow and doing their best to ensure that. Same thing with Windows 8. Actually, if it was the other way around, they would have already complained to the EU Commission, for sure.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya they are both fighting with what they have to use as leverage, Google thinks Microsoft is dragging their feet in the extreme when it comes to Office 365; without an arbiter, it's war. Postings from either side are not much more than propaganda.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Ya they are both fighting with what they have to use as leverage, Google thinks Microsoft is dragging their feet in the extreme when it comes to Office 365; without an arbiter, it's war. Postings from either side are not much more than propaganda.
    I don't see what Office365 has to do with this?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    http://www.reviewjournal.com/business/technology/microsoft-office-comes-android-not-tablets

Quid pro quo, I think Microsoft was originally saying late winter, early spring, so far it's a limited version for Android and nothing for non-Microsoft tablet platforms. I'm sure there's even more to it from reading about "The War" but this article estimates Microsoft is ceding 1.4 billion by keeping it off iPads alone. Withholding Office 365 along with not letting google apps work as interconnectively as they could on Windows 8 are Microsoft's two big asset leverages against Google and I think they are actually in a stronger position than Google to try and dictate terms. As always, the civilians are going to suffer the most because both are in such strong positions they can toss a billion here and there with barely a blink.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Oh I see what you mean, it's about Office, not really Office365 (which I see as the name of the subscription service that allows one to run Office, in some cases).

I have written it before, I think Microsoft should not offer Office for the ipad or for Android. If they do, many people will lose much of the incentive to buy a Windows based tablet.
    I also think there are substantial differences between YouTube access and Office on Android. YouTube, for phones, is a service that can be accessed through an API and iOS and Android (and many other apps, some even on Windows Phone platform) have access to such API. Microsoft has been specifically targeted by stopped from accessing that API. Office, on the other hand, is a set of apps that only exist on Windows and OS X. There is no API to access an Office service, with some companies allowed to access it and others not.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    John,

I don't like Google, but these mega corporations aren't essentially different from one another. There are many things that Microsoft has done lately that aren't flattering for them. I suppose with Google, it's just ironic that they wanted to be different. They have come a long way since their original "do no evil" mantra.
    Thats the annoying thing.. they claim they "do no evil".. thats wats frustrating.

Thanks
    Seems like Microsoft is getting the same treatment from Google now that they gave to others many years ago.

It's different when you're on the receiving end.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Seems like Microsoft is getting the same treatment from Google now that they gave to others many years ago.

It's different when you're on the receiving end.
    It's not Microsoft that gets the treatment, the users are the ones who get it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    It's not Microsoft that gets the treatment, the users are the ones who get it.
    Looking at it that way, I suppose you could say that it wasn't IBM that got the treatment, it was all of the the users of Ami Pro, when Microsoft demanded that IBM hold off for three months before releasing the next version of Ami Pro.

Ditto for all of the other companies that Microsoft put out of business or hurt really bad back in the day. Netscape comes to mind -- to avoid getting sued for dumping IE on the market for free (and therefore hurting Netscape), Microsoft hardcoded IE into Windows, so that they could say that it was part of Windows and not a separate product.

Point is, Microsoft was the perpetrator back then, and now Google is the perpetrator.