New Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop mode and Start Screen app displayed at same time on 8.1 preview

I was messing around with the Win 8.1 preview in a VM tonight and noticed that you can have the Desktop Mode opened half screen along with Modern UI apps on the other half of the screen. I haven't heard anyone else mention this capability, only 2 Modern UI apps sharing the screen at any one time.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    In Windows 8, you can "divide" your screen between a Metro app and the desktop. It's not a 50% division, though, and I probably find it more useful that way. I love this feature.

Here is a screen shot, showing it:

CaptureSnap.PNG

So, this is a feature that is already included in the current version.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I hadn't tried the split screen with the desktop mode before and didn't remember anyone mentioning it before. The ability to do a 50/50 split between apps or even have multiple Modern UI apps open at once is one nice change in Windows 8.1.

Thanks
    I did read something about this feature in Win 8.1. I may reinstall Win 8.1 to try it again. I do have the ISO file downloaded and ready to burn to DVD.

Here is a description of the new features from MS TechNet. The feature you mention is near the bottom of the list.

I see Win 8.1 will be released officially on Oct. 17th.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The article you mention does talk about having multiple Modern UI aps open at once, but doesn't mention having desktop apps side by side with Modern UI apps. I have read dozens of articles and watched dozens of videos about Windows 8 and 8.1 and never saw a screenshot or a video demonstrating that particular function. I'm sure lots of people have tried it, just thought it weird that I had never saw it before.

I don't actually have a PC running 8 yet, so far I have just played with it in VM's and on customers pc's.

Thanks
    From the 'Switcher Bar' one could always Snap Apps along w/ Desktop. But, now, the sizing can be varied more & more accurately, not just 50/50 and not just 80/20. Also, w/ Desktop & an APP sharing, if you open the Switcher Bar & click on a 3rd (or I guess 2nd) APP you can have it 'float' on top of the other 2 things.
    Screenshot (7).jpg

Also, speaking of sizing, there are more choices as to what size to make Tiles on Start. This lends itself, for people who use Start & Tiles, the ability to scroll less by making things take up less real estate.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg.1

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft better be careful or they'll have it looking just like a desktop pretty soon.

Thanks
    You're welcome

Thanks
    I believe this does show that even MS can adjust their thinking based on consumer demands. Although, IMO, Win 8 is a great OS, there are some things that could definitely be improved upon, but what OS is that not the case. MS seems to be leaning in their consumer's direction on many issues. Some will still be disappointed in the Start Menu button that comes by default, but it is a step in the right direction for many. Allowing the replacement apps will also be a big step for many.

I did the beta thing all the way through the Win 8 development, but have not found the time to work with the Win 8.1 Preview.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy