Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Windows 8.1 Official Release on October 17th

Here is one of many stories about this.

The official release will be through the App Store. I would assume that it might be available as a separate ISO file download at some point in time as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Is it worth installing?

If there is anyone who has tried the preview, please comment.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I had some problems with the Win 8.1 Preview, but then again my ISO file was corrupted. I guess I will wait fot the official release now. Before installing I will make a complete Image, then I will try it. I guess I'm game for almost anything.

Many of the articles about Win 8.1 do show many of the features and enhancements.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Is it worth installing?

If there is anyone who has tried the preview, please comment.
    I didn't try the preview (too busy to tinker with working systems and VMs are cool but they are not the real thing), but my reading about it makes me think it's a more mature and streamlined version and upgrading should be a no brainer.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Price and upgradingMicrosoft will not charge users to upgrade to Windows 8.1. However, installing could pose problems for some users. Microsoft has gone on record as stating that users who download the Windows 8.1 Preview edition will have to reinstall of their applications when they upgrade to the final version of 8.1. Redmond claims that all account information and data will remain unaffected.

Read more: http://www.itpro.co.uk/desktop-softw...#ixzz2cA38l33i
    I'm just a little concerned about having to reinstall all desktop applications with the up and coming 8.1 release.
    Some of my applications require extensive reg edits and other "non standard" installation setups. This is sounding like
    it might be more of an ordeal than your usual, or traditional service pack installation.

I might consider installing it "cleanly", but it has to be worth the effort at least.

Thanks
    C
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-08-16 at 15:24.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'm just a little concerned about having to reinstall all desktop applications with the up and coming 8.1 release.
    Some of my applications require extensive reg edits and other "non standard" installation setups. This is sounding like
    it might be more of an ordeal than your usual, or traditional service pack installation.

I might consider installing it "cleanly", but it has to be worth the effort at least.

Thanks
    C
    I will just upgrade my stuff. My current install has a month, should be clean enough .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I could see how a total desktop programs reinstall would be problematic for many users.
    Especially desktop users with a lot of complex installed programs and advanced settings.

If this is the case, then adaptation to 8.1 might be a turn off for many.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I could see how a total desktop programs reinstall would be problematic for many users.
    Especially desktop users with a lot of complex installed programs and advanced settings.

If this is the case, then adaptation to 8.1 might be a turn off for many.
    You haven't tried the preview so you won't have to reinstall your desktop applications:

Will upgrading from windows 8 to windows 8.1 able to keep desktop applications?

Bruce

Thanks
    Exactly
    If upgrades are going to be coming yearly, then that will mean the loss of all desktop applications with the installation of the upgrade.
    (It's looking like this might be the norm for these so called upgrades)
    This is in opposition to the way operating system service pack installations have traditionally worked.

For a serious desktop user, having to install all of ones 3rd party desktop applications, it will be a laborious affair.
    It's a laborious affair for an advanced computer users, let alone a clueless uniformed n00b.

THERE WILL BE RESISTANCE
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-08-16 at 16:29.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Exactly
    If upgrades are going to be coming yearly, then that will mean the loss of all desktop applications with the installation of the upgrade.
    (It's looking like this might be the norm for these so called upgrades)
    This is in opposition to the way operating system service pack installations have traditionally worked.

For a serious desktop user, having to install all of ones 3rd party desktop applications, it will be a laborious affair.
    It's a laborious affair for an advanced computer users, let alone a clueless uniformed n00b.

THERE WILL BE RESISTANCE
    If you clean install, yes, Clint, but if you just upgrade, you won't lose anything, it will be like an upgrade to the previous versions of Windows.I think this new yearly releases cycle will bring new challenges to all of those that are keen on using the latest windows version.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Yes, that's all I wanted to know, and MS, as usual, has not been too terribly clear on this.

I'd prefer to do the clean install ONLY if there is a problem. Which I rarely encounter with a service pack installation.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Thanks
    Since I will be making a complete Image of my present Win 8 installation, as I suspect you will as well Clint, I do not have a problem with an Upgrade. If something does not work, then I can restore my Image.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-08-17 at 17:04.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Banned Member
    Thanks
    1st of all, I have been using 8.1 since it 1st became available. It has a lot of cool features, improvements & enhancements, both for End Users & for business, both superficial & under the covers. In general can it be said that it is worth going to 8.1....YES. There are settings & options in it people will like and it is extremely snappy & fast!

Has to having to re-install things, I may be completely wrong but, I don't think that will be necessary. It is my understanding it will upgrade/update the OS w/out disturbing anything, already, existing in (your) Windows 8. Bit similar to grabbing a Service Pack although, 8.1 is not a Service Pack.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg.1

Thanks
    I believe you are correct unless, like many of us do, you would choose to do a Custom Install and start over. Once I have a good Image of my present system. I will just upgrade to Win 8.1 to see how well it works. I suppose I could with the preview, but I just haven't had the time, and may not before Oct. 17th. If that's the case I see no reason to install the preview.

Most, if not all, the Start Menu replacement apps have also been updated to work with Win 8.1 Preview. That will also be nice for those of us that still use portions of the old Start Menu.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I know this is an older thread, but with the release date being "around the corner", I thought I'd chime in.

With all the MS hoo hah about the preview NOT necessarily being like the final release, I thought it not worth the bother. Most of you know my Win 8 Pro installation is nowhere near standard. I will first see if the official 8.1 will upgrade my installation. With Windows 7 Ultimate and my customized installation, Service Pack 1 installed without a hiccup. I'm hoping that 8.1 will upgrade over my carved up 8 in the same fashion.

If not, and if 8.1 proves to be a worthwhile upgrade, I can always re-assemble Windows 8 Pro, upgrade, and then cut it back up to suit me.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast