New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 image / usb boot key

Hi all,

a complete newbie, so bear with me if I make some faux pas.

I realise that there is a lot of this subject around but and idiot proof guide would really help me.

Background - I work in a school where there are tons of netbooks kicking around.

I need to find out how to create a bootable usb key that contains windows 7 (both 32 and 64bit) and office 2010 as standard features. That means that if I need to reformat a machine I can simply grab the reboot usb key and load the OS windows 7 and office from the key in one go. I can activate both later after the formatting.

I have worked out how to make a bootable usb, but only with the windows 7 os. I can't get it to also contain the office 10 package as well and that would be a great help.

I have heard a great deal about Acronis, but until now haven't got it to do what I want. My ultimate desire would be to use the one remaining boot key I have. Reformat a machine. upgrade the office 07 to 2010 and then use that as the base image for all subsequent machines. That way I would have all the relevant drivers etc. already at hand, having everything I need on four usbs (two with 32 bit and 2 with 64 bit)

Can anyone point me in a good direction with lots and lots of idiot proof directions?

Thanks,

Tim in Copenhagen

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

you could try creating an image of your system when all is set up and working properly. Save it to an external HDD or large USB memory stick.
    You could then use your win 7 USB stick to do a restore from the second USB stick or HDD with the saved image on, Win 7 has good built in image creation and restore functions.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Imaging is the better way to go, but you will have to set everything up, which means that there will be a lot of "up front work" that will need to be done.
    Having exact duplicate hardware and software licensing will make it much easier. (like many corporate environments).

But if your hardware (netbooks) and the MS licensing for the operating systems and Office suite are
    different, then you'll have your work cut out for you. (especially the hardware)

With regard to imaging applications; 3rd party tools will be better than the MS solution in terms of reliability.

Slipstreaming may be inappropriate for a "newbie".
    (the learning curve is high, and the work on the teacher great)

If all of the many netbooks you have are already setup the way you want them, then it will be just a matter of *cleaning things up, and
    then creating the images for them.
    *Cleaning things up= removing garbage files and cache build up, defragmenting, and running AV/AM scans (and then locking everything down).
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-08-16 at 13:09.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi CLiNT,

Luckily we only have three different netbook models, but there are a boatload of them. ASUS UL30A, Lenovo S10-3 and a Dell Vostro V131. The Lenovo is the most widespread. The ASUS then kicks a spanner in the works by being a 64 bit machine, the Dell being the rarest.
    My plan is to reinstall a spare machine I have for experimenting, give it a full update, virus update, driver scan etc. and then (when I find the best software) take an image to a bootable USB. We have a MAK for both the OS and Office 2010 so that is taken care of. I have just had a quick look at slipstreaming and I must say that it doesn't seem too straightforward. Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Tim

Thanks
    If all of the three netbook types you have; (ASUS UL30A, Lenovo S10-3 and a Dell Vostro V131), are of the exact same hardware, then it
    might be possible to restore a single image to one of each type.

Then all you would have to do is set up one of each of the netbooks types and create just 3 images for restoration purposes.
    If your OS and Office licenses are all the same [volume licenses] then you likely won't have to activate when the image is restored.

Excluding those that are 64 bit, they'll need to be separate.

Hope that helps somewhat.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-08-16 at 17:51.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I would use a 3rd party app as well and create a Boot Disk (I believe this can also be placed on a USB flash drive) using the app you select (because of the quantity we are talking here I would NOT worry about Free versus Paid). Then have a good setup from each variety (3 models and 32 Bit or 64Bit). Create separate Images for each variety (this will give at least 3 Images, perhaps more if you have 32 Bit and 64 Bit of a particular variety). Now when you have to restore simply put the boot drive device in, boot to the Imaging app, then plug the device holding the Image into a separate USB slot and restore the Image.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all your replies,

I am still after some good software that I can use to "build" a windows 7 + office package / image.

Any suggestions?

Tim

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well the most popular analogs to Acronis TI are Macrium Reflect and EaseUS ToDo. ShadowProtect seems to be very highly regarded in business environments also. Since you have so many identical systems in just a few subgroups, you can use the most basic versions of the software. Other folks might feel you should be using a technician level license subscription for this but I don't know how strongly that applies to a school situation.

Thanks
    I have had very good success with Acronic True Image 2013. Once I create the Boot Disk, I can boot to the disk and either create or restore an Image. This is my preferred method even though with most of the 3rd party apps mentioned you can actually create your Images from within Windows. I just prefer to boot to the Boot Disk outside Windows to do this important chore. I also create a new Image after each patch Tuesday as this give me the most up to date Image for my systems.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmythesaint View Post
    Thanks for all your replies,

I am still after some good software that I can use to "build" a windows 7 + office package / image.

Any suggestions?

Tim
    Take you pick, you'll have plenty of imaging applications to choose from.
    If your looking to cut down on the amount of work you'll need to do, I don't think your going to find it.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Tim,

This is a great question. You will need a copy of the windows installation media and a PC set up to support creating images of the installations. And license keys, of course. Use the same media that the image for these devices was created from: Enterprise or Pro. As for the Office installation, you will need to use an answer file and load the software in the correct "installation Pass". You could get all of this onto one key, but it will have to be a minimum of 16GB. All of the answers you seek are in the Microsoft 680 exam prep book. I won't recreate it here. Good Luck