Thanks

How to make a bazillion dollars from XP

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The existence of a market for exploitable bugs is not a novelty, really, but with lack of patching may gain some additional potential. Interesting perspective.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Layered security that makes such an unpatched exploit an if..., if..., if..., if... prospect is not a novelty either.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can anyone deny that XP will become a bigger target though?

There must be more incentive to invest time in developing an exploit which could remain useful for more than a week or two.

Bruce

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That I don't know because as I put it in another post, those who are concerned, are migrating, those who are not, are not (hardening to attack) and those who are oblivious, are oblivious. I don't know what the ratios are there. If the oblivious are as numerous as extras in The Walking Dead, then probably yes, but those are the same folk who may be even more easily exploited by a false tech/repair call.

Thanks
    Corporate espionage is probably the single best reason to expend the resources need in developing an exploit.

They're out there right now (funded by governments) banging away at Windows 7 & 8.
    Never mind the pissy little script kiddies and lone blackhats that are ONLY trying to get at your identity and credit card numbers.

It's entirely one thing for a "personal" computer user to continue using windows XP, but it's a completely different
    matter all together for a corporation to hang on to an outdated operating system that has zero technical support.
    [It's irresponsible in the extreme].

XP doesn't have that much of a future.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-08-16 at 16:33.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

bonalba (2013-08-22)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    It entirely one thing for a "personal" computer user to continue using windows XP, but it's a completely different
    matter all together for a corporation to hang on to an outdated operating system that has zero technical support.
    [It's irresponsible in the extreme].
    That to me is the important point that most of these recent articles about XP risks next year are not stressing sufficiently (if at all).

Bruce

Thanks
    The problem is that XP is not the only problem, many of those PC's are also 32 bit. So upgrading is even more difficult if businesses use 16 bit software. When I bought my Windows 7 64 bit machine, I was able to transfer everything from my 32 bit machine, but I could not run many of those old programs.

64 bit machines can run 32 bit programs also. If businesses are using old Qbasic programs, they can upgrade them to 32/64 bit with QB64 if they have the BAS code. QB64 can also convert basic programs to run in Linux or Mac OSX: www.qb64.net
    Last edited by burger2227; 2013-08-22 at 08:54.

Thanks
    Speaking of "bits", and 16 bit programs in particular.....

I'm running 16 bit programs on Windows 8, 64 bit, by using it's compatibility mode.
    I refer specifically to a 16 bit game I bought on a single floppy disk, circa 1990.
    It runs beautifully on Windows 8, as does Solitaire, from the '98 days.

XP is obsolete? Tell that to the US Government, and the VA in particular.
    They have thousands of terminals in the VA Hospital, in Gainesville, FL, all running XP Pro.
    Likewise, in the local VA clinic that I go to.

Layered protection? I've been advocating that for YEARS!
    There is no one program that can fully protect any computer.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I disagree. there is a one button program that will make a computer or any system totally secure.

[OFF]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burger2227 View Post
    The problem is that XP is not the only problem, many of those PC's are also 32 bit. So upgrading is even more difficult if businesses use 16 bit software. When I bought my Windows 7 64 bit machine, I was able to transfer everything from my 32 bit machine, but I could not run many of those old programs.

64 bit machines can run 32 bit programs also. If businesses are using old Qbasic programs, they can upgrade them to 32/64 bit with QB64 if they have the BAS code. QB64 can also convert basic programs to run in Linux or Mac OSX: www.qb64.net
    MS has always made an attempt to make older software compatible in their new operating systems, too much so imo.
    If any particular 3rd party software can't see fit to update their code, then they are just not worthy of continued usage.
    I don't care what the circumstances are, 3rd parties have an obligation to upgrade their software. If they go out of business
    alternatives should be sought.

From a business perspective, there is absolutely no rational excuse to continue using obsolete software.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If one remembers,before,long before Windows came out with Vista,which was the new name given to it after they had previously been calling it what was it Longhorn or something to that nature. It was told to all that whatever it's final name would be that the main purpose for developing it was for added security. This was when they first started talking about the new improved layered security if I'm not mistaken. Correct me if I am wrong please.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philomel View Post
    I disagree. there is a one button program that will make a computer or any system totally secure.

[OFF]
    I'm guessing that the question is, how do you make it secure in "[ON]" mode.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well redeye you are wrong! I don't know how but since no-one is ever completely correct in anything I surmize that somehow you are wrong.
    I'm still trying to figure it out how, give me a few weeks?

Oh well, philomel

Thanks
    The new IT Consultancy firm Windosed Victims will for no charge offer a unigue solution to WINDOWS security, Windoze for Workgroups 3.12 / IE v.1.0

Based on the finite probability that this combination of software is unlikely to operate for more than ~5.2 minutes, + / - an hourglass graphic, without evoking a total system crash, the probability of being hacked or experiencing other common forms of exploitation is essenially squat.

On-demand BSOD's will be just a click away!

Webdrones will, of course, be available at a reasonable extra rate.

Phreakisly yours,

Hackensack Harry B.S. M.S. phF
    "IF I CAN'T FIX IT, IT AIN'T BROKE!"