New Lounger
    Thanks

Failed Windows Updates

Hello everyone. I just purchased a new computer and have Windows 7 Professional on it. I got it up and running the first week in June. I proceeded to install any windows updates, which were over 90 all together. Everything appeared to go okay. No messages about failed install of the updates. I have hardly used this computer (still using my old XP). After seeing that many of the recent Microsoft updates are giving problems, I waited until this last isssue of Windows Secrets to do the August updates. I do not have the updates set to install automatically.

After insatlling the known good August updates, I checked update history and was surprised to find 28 failed updates that were dated June 23 and 24 2013. One was labeled 'Important'.

The first thing I did was search the system for the downloaded KB* files. None of the failed update files were found. All of the successful update files were found.

When I select to do updates I do a 'custom' install and only select the updates that are known to be tried and having no problems.
    When I do the 'custom', search none of the failed installed KB files show up.

Should I download the failed files and try to install them or ignore them?

Here is an example of the one labeled 'Important'. The message or reason given doesn't mean anything to me. I have never liked using abbreviations until they have been spelled out at least once. In this case I don't know what MFC is.

Thank you for any input. franky5

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538243)

Installation date: ‎6/‎24/‎2013 6:27 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 643

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified leading to MFC application vulnerability in DLL planting due to MFC not specifying the full path to system/localization DLLs. You can protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you run Windows Update, aren't the failed updates offered again?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by franky5 View Post
    When I do the 'custom', search none of the failed installed KB files show up.
    xx

Thanks
    You can try downloading the update and installing locally. KB2538243 can be found at Microsoft Search. Download to your desktop or any other location of your choice, then double-click to install. Your other failed updates can be located using this same site.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-08-18 at 02:03.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I run Windows Update again they do not show up. Puzzling?!?! It could be that there is something set in the system that says these were downloaded once and I don't know where that would be??

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was hoping that I wouldn't have to download each separately, but at this point I don't see any other way. I'll be sure to set a restore point before installing each one just in case there is a problem.

Thanks for the replies, Franky5

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by franky5 View Post
    When I run Windows Update again they do not show up. Puzzling?!?! It could be that there is something set in the system that says these were downloaded once and I don't know where that would be??
    Did you hide them? If you didn't, and if Windows Update is working, I would add nothing. If in doubt, you could use something like Secunia PSI, just to be sure your system is up to date.
    Rui
    -------
    R4