Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to use RECIMG to make recovery image

I last made a refresh image in June. I got the idea I should make a newer one to account for software changes. I ran command prompt as administrator and followed instructions to make a Refresh Image using RECIMG. The system created a snapshot and then started to make the image. It stayed at 1% for quite some time and stopped. I got the following message: "Recovery image cannot be written. Error Code 0X80070002. I researched this error code associated with this problem at the Microsoft site and via Google search. I found nothing that was helpful. The closest I came was at Microsoft where a tech said the problem was probably caused by a problem with "Profile Image" in the registry. It proceeded to give instructions for correcting the problem. I looked at the registry entries in question and found that mine were as they are supposed to be. I have rebooted several times and this did not help.

I wonder if it would help to do a standard system restore. From the number of queries I saw referencing this same problem on the internet, I am surprised that Microsoft has not paid some attention to the problem and come up with either a fix or an explanation of how to prevent it from happening.

I wonder if any of the gurus on this message board (my favorite) have any ideas about fixing this problem. If I ever have to do a Refresh Image I would prefer that it be via RECIMG so that I don't lose all of my installed software (I have a lot of it.) Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    You could also use a 3rd party Imaging app and just create new Images regularly. I create a new Image every month right after patch Tuesday. In this way my Images (I usually keep the last several Images) are always available to restore my system. Using Imaging in this way I restore my system exactly as it was when the Image was made, including all apps, customizations, etc., everything as it was.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I wouldn't consider the "recimg" command to be a worthy and reliable imaging application, especially
    in comparison to even the free tools out there.

I believe I tested it once in these forums and found it didn't stack up to the app I'm using now: Macrium Reflect.

sfc /scannow
    To See and Read the SFC /SCANNOW Scan Results

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-checker.html

NOTE: When SFC runs, it logs it's actions to the C:\WINDOWS\LOGS\CBS\CBS.LOG. This will show you how to see only the specific SFC entries with the [SR] tags in the CBS.log. This can be helpful to show you what files SFC could not fix automatically if you wanted to try and manually replace them.
    I would try the above first prior to System Restore, and I would also run CCleaner's mild registry cleaner as well.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd suggest a third party program like Acronis True Image. I ususally make an image on 2 different drives after monthly updates or other software changes. I keep several months on hand also.
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zackdecoda For This Useful Post:

Medico (2013-08-18)

Thanks
    How To Geek has shown many such fine articles. They are an invaluable resource in my mind. Thanks for posting this particular article.

Whenever there is a question, How To Geeks has a nice search function as well.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-08-18 at 08:19.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    MEDICO, how to Geek as well as WINDOWS SECERETS are but two of the sites that keep windows from driving me crazy.

Thanks
    Too late for me, I'm already well past crazy.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for your responses. I do have a regular backup program--I use Acronis. I do a monthly backup and keep it on a external one terabyte drive. I made a RECIMG backup because I could (belt and suspenders if you will.) Having made it it is supposed to work and I am aggravated that I cannot make another one. Before I ever made a RECIMG backup I researched it and learned what I was supposed to do. I did go to the "HowToGeek" site and, using their specific instructions for making a second RECIMG backup, I tried again. I got the same message as before: "Recovery image cannot be written. Error Code 0X80070002." There must be a reason that I am getting this error code and Microsoft seems not to know what the problem is. I trust those who help here and hoped against hope that someone might have heard of the problem. I am grateful for your responses. I have this idea that the problem goes deeper and I may have to do a clean reinstall. I think this because a few months ago I installed a new SSD and copied an image of "C" from the SATA drive it replaced. For instance, in "System Properties" for "System Restore" three instances of "Drive C" are listed instead of just one. So, I'll mull it over and probably bite the bullet and do that fresh install. I do dread it, though, because of the large amount of software I have installed. Thanks again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elgercee View Post
    Thanks to all for your responses. I do have a regular backup program--I use Acronis. I do a monthly backup and keep it on a external one terabyte drive. I made a RECIMG backup because I could (belt and suspenders if you will.) Having made it it is supposed to work and I am aggravated that I cannot make another one. Before I ever made a RECIMG backup I researched it and learned what I was supposed to do. I did go to the "HowToGeek" site and, using their specific instructions for making a second RECIMG backup, I tried again. I got the same message as before: "Recovery image cannot be written. Error Code 0X80070002." There must be a reason that I am getting this error code and Microsoft seems not to know what the problem is. I trust those who help here and hoped against hope that someone might have heard of the problem. I am grateful for your responses. I have this idea that the problem goes deeper and I may have to do a clean reinstall. I think this because a few months ago I installed a new SSD and copied an image of "C" from the SATA drive it replaced. For instance, in "System Properties" for "System Restore" three instances of "Drive C" are listed instead of just one. So, I'll mull it over and probably bite the bullet and do that fresh install. I do dread it, though, because of the large amount of software I have installed. Thanks again.
    Are you are aware that recimg is doing nothing much different than what you are already achieving with True Image? The only difference is that a refresh using the recimag saved image won't affect your documents and other files. I confess I wouldn't bother restarting just because of recimg - I also use True Image.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Like I said, a monthly Image with True Image and a monthly File History is all I need. Incremental data backup is done manually between PCs over the network.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Note to RUIRIB: It is my understanding that the difference between a recimg reinstall and a reinstall from a standard backup is as follows: If I do a recimg reinstall my files and settings are saved and a fresh copy of the windows 8 operating system is installed so that if the current windows 8 had corruption in it it would be corrected. With a reinstall from standard backup, if there were corruption in windows 8 when the backup was made the reinstall would include that corruption. Perhaps I am reading this wrong, but when I researched on the Microsoft site I read it to say that recimg would reinstall the core windows 8. My Acronis backup was made after I reinstalled an older backup to the new SSD. I still have the suspicion that something happened during that process that is causing my current problem. If the problem were only the fact that I am not permitted to do a recimg backup I would not worry about it. My concern is that there may be more as yet unfound problems. As I understand it, if I do a recimg reinstall, the only applications I will lose are those installed after the recimg image was made.

Please understand that I'm not trying to be a smartass; I am truly looking for guidance here.
    Last edited by elgercee; 2013-08-22 at 10:23. Reason: misspelling

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by elgercee View Post
    Note to RUIRIB: It is my understanding that the difference between a recimg reinstall and a reinstall from a standard backup is as follows: If I do a recimg reinstall my files and settings are saved and a fresh copy of the windows 8 operating system is installed so that if the current windows 8 had corruption in it it would be corrected. With a reinstall from standard backup, if there were corruption in windows 8 when the backup was made the reinstall would include that corruption. Perhaps I am reading this wrong, but when I researched on the Microsoft site I read it to say that recimg would reinstall the core windows 8. My Acronis backup was made after I reinstalled an older backup to the new SSD. I still have the suspicion that something happened during that process that is causing my current problem. If the problem were only the fact that I am not permitted to do a recimg backup I would not worry about it. My concern is that there may be more as yet unfound problems. As I understand it, if I do a recimg reinstall, the only applications I will lose are those installed after the recimg image was made.

Please understand that I'm not trying to be a smartass; I am truly looking for guidance here.
    Hi,

I understand your point of view and I know where you are coming from. This issue was discussed on the Lounge recently and I raised the question of how much a refresh based on recimg, using a previously saved image, would be an actual refresh:

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post917945

I have read as much as I could about this and I am not convinced that, in the case of using your own baseline image, that you are not simply restoring the system to the state it was when the image was created. Not even blog posts from Microsoft are clear on this and the recimg help entry described by BruceR in my previous link clearly states that Windows system files are kept in that image. Although not definitive, see what the Windows Engineering team provided as a scenario, for the refresh using your own baseline image: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2...t-your-pc.aspx

While this proves nothing, I am led to think that recimg, when used with your own custom image, will do nothing much more than what other imaging apps do. Please be aware that I may be wrong. However, I see only two options to keep your custom, non metro apps:

1. Save the system state, all your apps files, etc and restore such state when needed.
    2. Save the system state, but then use it just to capture app registry settings, files and folders, to sort of reinstall them when Windows is refreshed.

1 is easy, 2 is hard. I know one manaufacturer who does 2 (Laplink), with some degree of success (I have used it when I migrated to Windows 7 from XP). This can raise issues with some apps (did with adobe acrobat, which had to be re-validated) and implies an immense knowledge about how each app works and where its settings are kept, other than registry keys, etc.

The difficulty implied by strategy 2 is the reason I think Windows 8 uses strategy 1. This reasoning does not apply to Metro apps, since Metro apps follow stricter rules, Microsoft has your full history regarding metro apps downloads, so it can restore them in a much easier way.

Again, this is my reasoning and this is why I don't use recimg, since I use Acronis. I guess you can always try it and report on your findings. To me, Acronis always worked. Unless I get adequate info about recimg, which is not tried at all, I won't replace what I know works for something that, at best, I expect to do no better.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply, ruirib. I had read your second referenced blog (MSDN) when I was doing my initial research. I just read it again and, to my chagrin, it does seem to say (or at least imply) that an image is made and that the image is reinstalled during the recimg process. Therefore, a recimg image would be no better than an Acronis image. I believe I will wait and see what happens. Since I am running fairly well I see no sense in doing anything drastic right now. So, I'll put this baby to bed and if problems arise in the future we'll revisit the subject. Thanks for your help--it is much appreciated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome.

I read a post yesterday (which now I cannot find), where someone stated they had done a refresh with an image and that had the effect of not solving the original problem the refresh was meant to solve. That sort of reinforces the idea that the refresh with an image is not much more than an image restore.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast