2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows update problems

Hi folks. I've seen several posts about the latest batch of Microsoft updates, but none addresses my problems. After the install, things started getting really buggy. If I try to use a 'right click' for anything (like emptying the trash or checking the properties of a file) what I'm trying immediately freezes up and I get the "... is not responding" popup. I've tried uninstalling the updates, but at about 48% to 50% the process stops and just sits there forever. I've also tried doing a restore from a restore point -- same problem, freezing up about half way through. The only way to get going again is to turn the computer off and reboot. There just doesn't seem to be any way for me to get rid of these blasted updates.

Any ideas out there? Please? (LOL)
    Last edited by shadow35; 2013-08-17 at 19:39.

Thanks
    Are you sure you have not picked up a virus or malware? I would run some scans with your AV/AM app, and Run a complete scan with MalwarBytes Anti-Malware app.

You can also open an elevated command prompt (right click command or cmd.exe and select Run As Administrator) and type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. Notice the space between sfc and /. This might find and fix any corrupted system files.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow35 View Post
    There just doesn't seem to be any way for me to get rid of these blasted updates.

Any ideas out there? Please?
    shadow,

Hello.. My experience was that "Restore Points" seldom work ( long since turned that off) , and the only way out of these problems is to recover to a previously made "Full OS Image" ( MS or 3rd party software.) Can't say why MS won't uninstall the Patches and updates.. At the very least... make an Image before you have any "Updates Installed" Switch off the "MS Automatically Download and Install" and set it so that you have control and only apply those Patches and Updates that apply to you...Personally i have solved that problem ... Have a good 3rd party security software paradigm ... and never use MS patches or Updates ...unless some program i want or need has to have some ".NET thingy" to run... Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Are you sure you have not picked up a virus or malware? I would run some scans with your AV/AM app, and Run a complete scan with MalwarBytes Anti-Malware app.

You can also open an elevated command prompt (right click command or cmd.exe and select Run As Administrator) and type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. Notice the space between sfc and /. This might find and fix any corrupted system files.
    Well, I would love to be able to 'right click' things, but as I said, that's one of the main problems. If I right click anything, I get the little blue revolving circle that says it's thinking about it, and then it just sits there forever, doing nothing. I'm usually able to right click one thing right after a reboot, so I was able to run the sfc /scannow and it said "did not find any integrity violations". The 'windows explorer' seems to be a problem as it freezes up almost every time I try to do anything. I've also run full scans with sophos virus remover and McAfee security scan, both of which say I don't have any virus.

Also, I can't turn the computer off normally. When I click the 'shutdown' button, it gets to the "shutting down" screen and just stays there forever. The only way I can shut it down is by holding in the manual power switch on the computer.
    Last edited by shadow35; 2013-08-18 at 12:23.

Thanks
    You can reboot (using power button if necessary) and boot to a Repair Disk or Installation disk and choose repair my computer. From there use the command prompt option and run sfc /scannow. This may work similarly to an elevated command prompt.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm usually able to right click one thing right after a reboot, so I was able to run the sfc /scannow and it said "did not find any integrity violations".
    xx

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You could reboot in safe mode and then try the system restore.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well unfortunately, whatever was messing things up couldn't be gotten rid of (I'm sure that it was one or more of that last load of updates). Fortunately, I did have a Macrium Reflect backup file, UNfortunately it was 3 months old, so I lost some stuff, but at least I'm back on-line.

Thanks to everyone for all the good advice.

Thanks
    Good reason to create a new Image regularly, in my case every month after patch Tuesday.

Glad you solved your problem. Having to reinstall updates is better than an malfunctioning system.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

shadow35 (2013-08-25)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Good reason to create a new Image regularly, in my case every month after patch Tuesday.

Glad you solved your problem. Having to reinstall updates is better than an malfunctioning system.
    You are definitely right Medico. This has woken up my backupness (lol) I have a 750GB WD Passport that I bought expressly for backups, guess I should start using it. (lol again).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks to everyone for the advice. I've reloaded from the passport backup and things are ok now.

Thanks
    Many thanks to everyone for the advice. I've reloaded from the passport backup and things are ok now.
    That's good news, but you're not finished yet. Once you get everything up to date, create a fresh image on that Passport.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows