New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Homegroup problems with file sharing

Hi

I have used Windows Homegroup before (on the same 2 computers) with very little trouble. We have moved house and changed ISPs and I now am having trouble with file sharing.

I have a desktop and laptop. I have disconnected both PCs from the old homegroup and created a new homegroup. On both computers all boxes are ticked in the homegroup dialogue box indicating that all types of files can be shared. The desktop has all the files on it. The folders I want to share are showing read/write access for the Homegroup. Both computers have the same workgroup (I have just realised they were both different so have changed the laptop and restarted it).

The problem is I can see the laptop's file on my desktop but not the desktop files on the laptop. The screens are slightly different - the desktop shows the homegroup folders like this:

Desktop.jpg

whereas the laptop shows this:

laptop.jpg

When I click on "My Documents" on the laptop I get the following pop-up error: "Window cannot access \\desktop pc name\Users\User Name\documents Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose", when I click on diagnose I get the following "Make sure the computer or device is turned on and connected to the network. Windows can't find desktopPCname. Make sure it is turned on...."

The desktop is on. Both PCs can connect to the internet, both are connected to the network. Desktop can see laptop files so why can't the laptop see the desktop files???

Any suggestions??

Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by indi View Post
    Both computers have the same workgroup (I have just realised they were both different so have changed the laptop and restarted it).
    From the laptop, try leaving the Homegroup completely, reboot, then rejoin the Homegroup.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

Thanks for the suggestion, I have tried that and it didn't make any difference

Any other thoughts?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've done some more diagnostics and get the following error "Windows can communicate with the name resolution server by can't find the host name". Does this help resolve my problem?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you tried running "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotation marks) in an elevated command prompt on each PC?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe

Thanks. I have tried that, rebooted both PCs and still no luck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    As a test, have you tried turning off the firewall on the desktop system?

Joe