Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 desktop

I have a friend who bought a new Windows 8 computer last week and she's having problems learning it. From what I saw on the internet, it's possible to have Windows 8 boot into the desktop instead of the screen with the tiles. However, If I set it up to boot into the dektop, will she be able to use the computer similarly to XP? I am not a Windows 8 person yet but I don't mind figuring out what she needs to learn in order to use her computer. Personally I'd rather remove most of the default tiles so the tile screen looks easier to use.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, more similar to Windows 7 though, not so much XP (Explorer is quite a bit different). Any good start menu (Classic shell, StartIsBack, Start8) will do the trick.
    From what I hear about 8.1 it will be much easier to control the proliferation of tiles on the start screen, just limit to Store apps or even eliminate every tile except the Desktop tile in case one does wind up there by accident and want to get right back to the desktop.

One of the StartIsBack features is to be able to control (prevent) desktop tiles being added to the start screen so if you want a cleaner start screen right now in 8 without needing a lot of maintenance that might be the way to go. I think they are all free to try and Classic shell is free.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-08-20)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    From what I hear about 8.1 it will be much easier to control the proliferation of tiles on the start screen, just limit to Store apps or even eliminate every tile except the Desktop tile in case one does wind up there by accident and want to get right back to the desktop.
    Umm, you can do that on 8 now very easily - just right click any app and click on 'unpin from start'. You can move tiles around and pin tiles to the start screen from the all apps page (right click on blank part of start screen). Simples!

I like the fact that installing new apps puts them on the start screen so I can find it more easily - but then many apps have a tick box for putting tiles on the start menu/screen anyway - so just untick it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-08-20)

Thanks
    The problem with tiles on Win 8 is that installing an app places a tile on the Start screen for EACH .exe file in the app. Some apps have several .exe files associated with the app which places several tiles on the Start Screen. This can lead to a cluttered Start Screen very quickly. What I did was unpin the extra tiles after each app installation, but it does take time.

Win 8.1 changes this somewhat to only place the app start .exe on the Start Screen. All the remaining .exe are on the All Apps screen for use if needed. This controls the tile proliferation to an extent.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-08-20)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have some pretty good news from helping my friend yesterday especially since she's very computer illeterate and doesn't have much patience on learning even the basics. That's ok, I remember when I was somewhat like that - It took me a long time to catch on on how to use a computer at work.

Anyway, I had her move the tiles she normally uses over to the left side of her screen so she can easily use what she needs very easily. Then I showed her how to toggle between the tiles screen and the desktop along with a few other things she needed to know

Thanks everyone for your inputs
    --- Although my question centered on booting in the desktop, I prefer she boots normally into the tiles screen and know how to toggle to the desktop when applicable
    --- She's going to be taking a 9 week computer course in Sept
    --- I asked her what OS they are using so she went and found out its Windows 7
    --- Too bad she didn't find out before she bought the Windows 8 computer but at least there are a lot of similarities between both OS's

Thanks for the information on file proliferation & screen clutter comments
    --- I'm going to have her unclutter her start screen if she's willing to do so

F.U.N. Downtown I am not familiar with Classic shell? Can you give me an explanation ot point me to source to figure it out?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I quite like StartIsBack. You can't almost distinguish Windows 8 from Windows 7 with it and the configurability it allows. Have a look - although I must say that probably learning the 8 interface wouldn't be bad and it's not as hard as it seems at first. Did you check this video?

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...uctional-Video
    Rui
    -------
    R4

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-08-20)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @cmptrgy
    Another tip mentioned several times in this forum:
    Move desktop tile to upper left corner. Then, when in the StartMenu, just hit ENTER key to toggle to the desktop.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rmonroe36 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-08-20)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Umm, you can do that on 8 now very easily - just right click any app and click on 'unpin from start'. You can move tiles around and pin tiles to the start screen from the all apps page (right click on blank part of start screen). Simples!
    Yes, but many of us want it to be proactive, not mop and bucket duty.

http://www.classicshell.net/...it's a bit of a suite, can modify start menu and explorer settings to make them a bit more user friendly and informative for those used to the feedback that XP explorer provides (level up, full pathname title bar, and full function status bar). Alas, no cure for the whole line selection in details view though. I'm going to donate $50 if they ever get that feature fully re-implemented and bug-free.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just from helping my friend, I like Windows 8. She had a friend tell her Windows 8 isn't intuitive but I don't agree with that as far as basic use goes. As any new OS, there are new ways to do some things but that's the computer world. I remember when XP came out and there were numerous complaints but now there are a lot of people who wish they didn't have to get rid of it

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On my friends new Windows 8 computer, it came with a trial version of M$FT Office 365 and when she went to register it for her trial version she wasn't happy with the cost involved so she went to Staples and got M$FT Office 2013 and I installed it for her without any problems
    However now I think it would be best to uninstall the M$FT Office 365 because when she clicks on the IE tile, M$FT Office 365 shows up and wants her to complete her registration
    --- Does this make sense? I think it does but are there any gotchas I have to watch out for
    When she switches over to the desktop, the IE icon brings her to her homepage which is Comcast and that's what I want to see her IE tile do for her

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

17. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-08-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To change the IE "metro version" home page

http://www.wintips.org/tip-set-your-...-10-metro-app/

19. The Following User Says Thank You to hernandz For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-08-21)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all of your helpful tips. Even though Windows 8 is brand new to I'm off to a good start. Since I'm training my friend on how to learn Windows 8, I'm benefitting also.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are some free apps you may download e.g. Learn Windows 8 and others (just search for" windows 8 tutorials"). I find "Learn Windows 8" not too bad; however, it is not as structured as I would like and may confuse you friend. The best one to work through is the Windows 8 help file (search for it from the search screen). I guess we all have to find our own way.
    Casso

Thanks
    I would also take the time to absorb the info in the Win 8 Sticky threads. There is a lot of good stuff there.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-08-21)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast