Thread: It's too slow

New Lounger
    Thanks

It's too slow

I have been running windows 7 for just over a year, and just recently I noticed that not only is my start up/boot time much slower, but my system is slower over all. Web pages that used to load in the blink of an eye now load much slower. I read an article in windows secrets about how to get rid of all the extra junk that can slow down a pc, but it was for windows xp. I tried it on my xp system, and it worked like a charm. Problem is, it was so long ago that I can't remember what I did or when I read the article. I do know that it was back when folks were just starting to talk about vista coming out. So you know it was some time ago. Any help in cleaning out all the crap that I don't need would be much appreciated. I do remember that what ever I did do it started with the dollar symbol but that's all I can recall.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You can run Disk Cleanup. Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Cleanup.

Also, use a tool such as Autoruns or WhatInStartup to check and manage what is started when you boot the system. Autoruns produces quite a lot of information. You should concern yourself only with the Logon tab.

Consider uninstalling any programs you do not use.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Myself I use CCleaner, first to clean up old files but also to clean up the registry. CCleaner also has a tool to clean out startup.

Slowness could be caused by junk, but could also indicate a memory problem too.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Or a space issue on the 'C:' drive or a badly fragmented 'C:' drive or old drivers (video, etc) or a whole bunch of junk being loaded at boot time or read errors on the 'C:' drive, just to name a few.