Thanks

Unresolvable error

I ran the Windows update on my laptop, and got an important update msg - KB2849470. So I ran it.

It failed, giving me an Error 80073712.

Researched it, and it said to apply KB947821, and if that didn't work run a Windows repair.

KB947921 did not work. But the laptop came with Win 7 pre-installed, so now what?

regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi CW. If your problem started with this latest batch of updates, I know what you are talking about. I had a large problem with the latest batch too. Unfortunately I don't have much advice for you, I finally had to use a Macrium Reflect backup that I made about 3 months ago to get things back to working right. I don't know which update caused my problem because I wasn't able to uninstall any of them, but it was probably the same one. I suspect that it was the one with several security updates rolled into one update, that one failed to load on mine too, but still screwed up things.

Thanks
    You are just the bearer of GREAT news, aren't you shadow35? The good news [for me] is that my backup ain't *quite* that old!

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    This KB article suggests installing the latest Service Pack (which I assume you did) and running SFC /scannow from an elevated command prompt.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957310

If that doesn't work, I would first do a Malwarebytes full scan and then download the update and manually run it in Safe Mode

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    I may be missing something here, but why can't you do an uninstall of KB947821 and KB2849470 from the control panel add/remove?

Thanks
    That one I can answer: It hasn't been established that KB947821 and KB2849470 caused the problem...I don't believe.

Thanks
    Jerry, I ran SFC /scannow from an elevated command prompt and it came up clean.

Thanks
    OK, since I have/had data backups of everything, I'm restoring the original config (courtesy of HP). This config has Windows 7 Home Premium. Can I upgrade just the Windows partition to 7 Ultimate without disturbing the other partitions? What will happen with the MBR and partition settings?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    System restore doesn't make the problem go poof?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    OK, since I have/had data backups of everything, I'm restoring the original config (courtesy of HP). This config has Windows 7 Home Premium. Can I upgrade just the Windows partition to 7 Ultimate without disturbing the other partitions? What will happen with the MBR and partition settings?
    What do you mean by original config? Recovery installation from the recovery partition? If so that will disturb all the partitions that have been altered since the original install. Upgrading after that will not disturb any other partitions provided there is just the one partition that is eligible for upgrading, assuming you are going with the anytime upgrade.

Thanks
    When I first got the laptop I imaged the drive. So, I can restore the image and come back to the factory setup -- which I did. It has, as I recall, an HP Tools partition, a Recovery partition, and the Windows [C] partition. So, if I'm having all this issue with WinUpdate, can I just format the "C" drive and install my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate? I get that I would lost the Recovery because it would be different than what I would be installing, but it doesn't seem to be doing much anyway, as the original partition setup is what is giving me the errors.

Chuck

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes with one caveat; the C: partition is a primary partition with no logical (extended partition) dependencies. Is there something you need from the recovery? If not you might just as well upgrade to Ultimate with a clean install to an unallocated or pre-partitioned drive according to your own preferences.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, Gentlemen I've enjoy your conversations for some time now, and this is the first time I've something to say. My subject of choice is Error # 8024402C Since I'm retired, I spend 3 days trying to chase it down, with all the tricks in my bag. Finally, gave up and went to MS for help and paid $99.00 for it. They ended up sending me up stairs to Level 2 help. I ended getting a new ISO Windows 7 Home Premium, sent by them, dwnld to 12 hrs, ( my speed isn't the greatest and it was a big file) We did the updates religiously, 121 1st try, 20 2nd try, 3rd try, some more. Guess what? Error code # 8024402C was back. S!@#$%^&*(). Well, I read in the WS News letter to stay away from Network 4, cause they got problems with it. Since MS had me on LOGMEIN, they took over again, after I told him to take out Network 4, and put back in up to 3.5 he did. Guess what Error 8024402C was back. They gave up on me and MS told me to do another repair or a fresh install. Oh come on. After he hung up, telling me would call me the next day, I got to thinking. I didn't start getting the problem of not being able to get my dates until I had the 121 updates in. He had already tried one restore, and it didn't work so he tried something else, nothing, seemed to work for him. In 10 minutes after he hung up, My first step was turn off automatic up dates off. Back to restore time and date the 121 were put in, wham bang thank you Lord we are up and running again. So simple, but it was worth the ride, got lots of good address's MS uses for checking out systems, and new op sys, with out all HP's BS, which is still on D drive which I have yet to visit.