Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Bronze Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,560
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Is this battery toast?

    I've totally ignored my old Gateway netbook for about a year and a half. Last night, I turned it on and proceeded to update its software. I assumed the battery had exhausted, of course, so I left it plugged in overnight. This morning, I pulled the plug before I woke it up, and the drive shut down immediately. I plugged it back in and restarted. That's when I discovered the error message at the battery level meter: "No battery detected." I shut down, removed the battery, then put it back in. I was thinking maybe the contacts had corroded, and perhaps the action of removing and reinstalling the battery might be enough to clean the contacts a little. But no--I still get the "no battery detected" message. So, is the battery simply gone for good, or is something else behind this error?

    FWIW, this machine started out with XP, but now runs on Win7.

  2. #2
    WS Lounge VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    8,162
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 976 Times in 906 Posts
    Could be either the battery or the laptop, but my money is on the battery after 12 months of non use.
    Can you borrow a battery for 5 minutes to test?

    cheers, Paul

  3. #3
    Bronze Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,560
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    No chance of borrowing a battery. Yeah, I'm with you: gotta be the battery. At least I hope it is ... . Thanks!

  4. #4
    Silver Lounger Banyarola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Big Indian, New York
    Posts
    1,900
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
    I left my old Dell laptop unplugged for two years and it worked fine...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

  5. #5
    WS Lounge VIP access-mdb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Posts
    1,720
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked 156 Times in 149 Posts
    I left an old Dell laptop unplugged for less than two years and the battery died. Mind you, the battery was fairly crocked anyway, so not booting up the laptop for about 6 months killed it. YMMV!

  6. #6
    Silver Lounger Banyarola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Big Indian, New York
    Posts
    1,900
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
    Well, I guess everyone has different experiences...My Dell is so old I hardly turn it on anymore...

    I think I bought it around 2004 or thereabouts.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •