New Lounger
    Thanks

Post Adobe reader problem

Subject: adobe reader problem
    I'm running Windows 7 (64 bit) with IE10, both fully updated. When I need to view or download a PDF off the web all I get is a white page with a little black x in the upper left corner. I updated the Adobe reader from 9 to 11 with no change in results. My brokerage house for My IRA help desk suggested that I try another browser and, sure enough, the Firefox 32 bit opened any PDF with no problem.
    My question is; can I make my IE10 work with these files or am I stuck with using the Firefox workaround for these files?

Thanks for your assistance with this frustrating problem.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    There are various problems reported sometimes when you run IE 10 with Windows 7. I had problems with IE 10 with Windows 7, so I downgraded to IE 9 and my problems disappeared.

That would be the first thing I would try if I were you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

ctlush (2013-08-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks mrjimphelps [related to TVs MI leader?]. Seriously, is there a thread or column in the Windows Secrets data base to get me back to IE9 without messing up the PC?

Thanks
    Just go to Programs and Features, Click on view installed updates and Uninstall IE 10. It will be replaced with the original browser (I assume IE 9)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    You could also change the Adobe settings to open the file in Adobe Reader rather than the browser.

Have you tried resetting IE10 to ddefaults - Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Reset (button)?

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ctlush View Post
    Thanks mrjimphelps [related to TVs MI leader?]. Seriously, is there a thread or column in the Windows Secrets data base to get me back to IE9 without messing up the PC?
    No, I'm not related to him. One of the items in my bucket list was to meet Peter Graves and show him my driver's license, proving that I am Jim Phelps, but that opportunity is gone.

You can easily get back to IE 9. Simply go to Add/remove programs, and uninstall/uncheck IE10. I found it in two of the lists (Windows features and Updates); once I removed it from both places, I was back in business with IE9.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    could not find it in the Add/remove programs list and I only have 4GB of programs there, and it failed to uninstall from the updates list when I tried. The damned PC even failed to reboot unless I manually shut down and restarted in safe mode. Thanks for the ideas though, any others?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just tried that and the only result I got was the loss of the auto-fill for my usernames...and who knows what else. Any other ideas?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Nope, didn't work. The uninstall program failed to remove the program. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    To uninstall IE 10, open Programs and Features (Control Panel). Click on View Installed Updates (Link to the left). When you see the list of Installed Updates, highlight IE 10 and uninstall. Your PC will revert to IE 9.

IE 10 has problems with some Win 7 setups. I have read of few such problems with IE 10 on Win 8, but have read of several on Win 7 PCs.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy