New Lounger
    Thanks

Post Skype (upload only) video pixelated

I am running Windows 7 (64 bit) with IE 10 and my ISP is Dish Network. Since I moved to NC I switched from cable to satellite and cannot seem to get enough data through Dish to support VOIP or the upload video side of Skype. I get audio and video from the caller but the caller gets the audio OK but the video is pixelated to badly to be useful. I just ran speed tests and got; Ping...average 695ms [range 695 to 715]; down load...5.6Mb/s [range 2.75 to 8.53];
    upload...0.51Mb/s [range 0.41 to 0.68].
    Is this my ISP or is there something else that I need to address. I am hopeful that it is not the ISP as I am just starting a 2 year contract with them, ugh.

Thanks
    As I am not there to test everything, I am just guessing but what you have described above points to a your ISP as the bottle-neck.

Of course it never hurts to verify that all of your drivers and firmware are up-to-date.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RussB For This Useful Post:

ctlush (2013-08-21)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    With that upload rate, I would say your ISP is clearly the reason, no doubts about it. Skype lowest resolution is 320x240 x 15 frames /sec. This gives a nominal rate of 1125Kbit/s or around 1.1 Mbit/s. Even with compression, it's easy to see the uplink as the limiting factor - 50% compression would give a needed rate of around your upload rate.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

ctlush (2013-08-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I was afraid of that. Now I need to find a lawyer to get me out of the conract...LOL

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    In theory, Skype should be able to handle video calls at much lower rates than you have available (starting at 40 kbps), which is compatible with your experience.

Skype lists the following bandwidth requirements: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1...oes-skype-need

So, they say 300 kpbs should be enough for video calling, and you get video calling, although not with much quality. Good quality, they say, should be achieved with 500 kbps. I suppose you are really on the fringe of what is acceptable, bandwidth wise.

It seems you can check how much bandwidth is being used on your call: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1...-call-is-using

Skype will adapt frame rate to the bandwidth available, but that doesn't seem to ensure decent video quality, in all cases.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

ctlush (2013-08-23)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It's not really the ISP either, they are not restricting you (though there may be more expensive plans with more bandwidth), the technology is; same reason you have such a long (high) latency (45,000 mile round trip just to and from the ISP). I have DSL but I'm 11,000ft. from the nearest upgrade node so I get about 1.2Mb/s down and .30 up. If I were half that distance I'd probably get closer to 4 down and 1 up, the latter I consider the real base for basic live video because you need a little bit of overhead for other packet upload activities, including the audio which will be more stable if the video and any other "cloud" activities are excluded for the time of the call. I can game and audio Skype on my feeble upload but absolutely nothing else or it all crashes.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I get and average of 8Mb/s up and from 0.41 to 0.79 Mb/s down [depending on which speed test I run] and I have looked at the specs from Skype that I need for Video chat and I should be in their range of at least medium quality video, thanks to ruirib from Portugal responding to my Lounge thread.