5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Security and the battle for browser dominance

ON SECURITY

Security and the battle for browser dominance

By Susan Bradley

Internet Explorer 10 is now the default browser in Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems.

But is it the best browser? Or is the best browser actually multiple browsers for different applications?

The full text of this column is posted at http://windowssecrets.com/on-securit...ser-dominance/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Susan,

I always enjoy your articles. Another important reason for Windows users to not use Apple's Safari browser: Safari 5.1.7, released on May 9, 2012, is the last version available for Windows. I would even advise Windows users to uninstall Safari.
    Thanks, Stan Peters

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Susan,
    I've been a member since Fred Langa was on his own. I was having a problem with running PCPitstop using IE 11. Your tip about compatibility mode solved it. Thank you!
    In order to become a Wise Old Man you must first survive being a Stupid Young Man.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a comment regarding the use of CHrome in Windows 7.
    I previously used XP and had Chrome installed and made regular use of it. Switching to Windows 7 I installed Outlook to use an email program covering for the absence of Internet Explorer. On att empting to install Chrome to my new system I found it hijacked Outlook and prevented me from accessing any URLs direct from the email interface which was very inconvenient. It also tried to take over my Netgear router but only succeeded in changing the desktop icon.
    I did a complete unistall using Revo but this did not cure the problem and I had to do some research to identify four registry entries which I had to delete before I got the Outlook functionality back.

Needless to say I have not tried to use chrome again on my system

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan, very good and fair article about browsers. I've used Opera (now 12.16, Win 8x64) as my primary browser since 2002, but have kept icons for IE and FF on my address bar for a long time. Printing web pages is where they get the most use, since Opera's print module has always been a neglected stepchild. But the strange thing is fairly frequently it turns out that IE and FF print preview don't format pages even close to correctly, but Opera's does and so I use it for printing in those cases. I can't give an example offhand, but it always puzzles me because usually browser page formatting problems go the other way.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan - I remember history a little differently. Netscape was the much better browser and more web sites were built to it's non-standard standards, like Netscape colours. But IE was not only offered free, it was included with new computers. New computer users that were unfamiliar with installing software simply used what they already had. Many web designers had to go back and add tweaks to make their sites work in IE. And along came the browser wars with different sites recommending you use a certain browser for it to work. What a pain. And the browsers were often late in adopting new standards so they couldn't be used.

So happy when Web Standards finally came along and were widely adopted. You didn't even have to talk about it in your article.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomerstan View Post
    Hi Susan,

I always enjoy your articles. Another important reason for Windows users to not use Apple's Safari browser: Safari 5.1.7, released on May 9, 2012, is the last version available for Windows. I would even advise Windows users to uninstall Safari.
    Thanks, Stan Peters
    True!
    http://www.howtogeek.com/132602/safa...other-browser/
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    In another matter, Opera is no longer as unique as its fans have long insisted it is. This browser recently moved away from their own proprietary Presto Engine toward WebKit, which is the same Engine as found in Safari. Webkit has been around and available in an Open Source version for long enough that this move may make Opera less secure than it was when it used Presto. Just something to consider when choosing browsers. (http://www.webmonkey.com/2013/02/pre...ng-live-opera/)

With Apple discontinuing Safari for Windows, those seeking a WebKit based browser for Windows could consider Opera. But be aware that Webkit is possibly less secure than the Presto Engine.

Part of the reason for the switch was to put Opera (mini) onto iPads. Presto simply couldn't run on their chipsets. Same with Windows RT tablets, although the WinRT API also played a role there.
    -- Bob Primak --

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mozilla-SeaMonkey Deserves Mention

Ms. Bradley:

As usual, a great and very useful column.

Major suggestion: You discuss the history of Mozilla-Firefox as a descendant of Netscape, but it's an incomplete descendant since it doesn't include email, which Netscape (and its first descendant, Mozilla-Suite) did include. I found it very convenient to have a close relationship between browser and email, so when Mozilla split Mozilla-Suite into separate Firefox browser and Thunderbird email, I was delighted that a group within Mozilla continued the browser-with-email package, despite its rather odd SeaMonkey name.

Mozilla-SeaMonkey includes browser and email. Much of the basic browsing code comes from Firefox, but I don't know how much of the email code comes from Thunderbird. All I know about SeaMonkey is that it works well, browser and email. Information and downloads are at http://www.seamonkey-project.org/.

In the future, if you mention Mozilla-Firefox (and/or Mozilla-Thunderbird), please mention Mozilla-SeaMonkey. It is a great package.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom