5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chrome browser might need extra cleaning step

LANGALIST PLUS

Chrome browser might need extra cleaning step

By Fred Langa

Chrome stores your browsing data on your hard drive and on Google's servers. Here's how to clean it all. Plus: Understanding Win8's disk Optimize feature, disabling the Win8 Charms bar, a Win8.1 Kiosk Mode, and how to run XP on a Win8 PC.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/chrome-browser-might-need-extra-cleaning-step/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft is doing the same thing now only in a more all-encompassing endeavor. I wonder if there are or will be similar methods to remove all sources of data caches.

External optimization of SSDs still doesn't sit right when random access and wear leveling is a feature and longevity process respectively but I don't know what Optimize does for sure because I've signed into my Microsoft account so many times because I'm "accessing sensitive data" that I'm all wore out for the rest of the month and all of September.

Finally, for those who don't have Pro or better and also prefer Fred's alternative to Hyper-V (VBox), there's this article from lifehacker.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

bobprimak (2013-08-23)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah, found the right place to respond! The bit about searches using Chrome being stored in the cloud and being available on any account-linked device seems to apply to all Google searches in any browser. I use Firefox, but I see my searches on the "Google" app on my Android phone.

So Fred's advice for deleting the search history on Google servers is very welcome.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with Fred re: Virtualbox.
    I run Virtualbox on Win7. Initially, I put it in to run some software that wouldn't work in Win7. XP installed just fine. It just needed some slight tweaking to shared files with Win7.
    Since then, I've also used it to try some other OS's. You just create a new "virtual" machine and install whatever there. I have Android and 2 versions of Linux new as well. After testing, you can delete or keep it going. There are also some free builds online, so you don't even have to do the full install. Just add the build.

The big advantage is that you open XP or whatever in a window. No need to reboot to change OS's. I recall a screen capture Fred did awhile back where he showed 9 OS's running in windows. ;-)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidFB View Post
    I agree with Fred re: Virtualbox.
    I run Virtualbox on Win7. Initially, I put it in to run some software that wouldn't work in Win7. XP installed just fine. It just needed some slight tweaking to shared files with Win7.
    Since then, I've also used it to try some other OS's. You just create a new "virtual" machine and install whatever there. I have Android and 2 versions of Linux new as well. After testing, you can delete or keep it going. There are also some free builds online, so you don't even have to do the full install. Just add the build.

The big advantage is that you open XP or whatever in a window. No need to reboot to change OS's. I recall a screen capture Fred did awhile back where he showed 9 OS's running in windows. ;-)
    Have you tested your Android VM with paid subscription service apps like Netflix or Hulu Plus (or whatever is available in Canada, where you seem to live)? Was access denied?
    -- Bob Primak --

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have multiple standalone Google accounts and have two questions: 1) Do I have to clear the Google Web History for each account? 2) When I followed Fred's instructions and clicked the gear icon and selected "Web History" the next page had 2 buttons. One said "Turn on Web History" and the other said "No Thanks"...Is Web History an opt-in feature?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by user ht View Post
    I have multiple standalone Google accounts and have two questions: 1) Do I have to clear the Google Web History for each account? 2) When I followed Fred's instructions and clicked the gear icon and selected "Web History" the next page had 2 buttons. One said "Turn on Web History" and the other said "No Thanks"...Is Web History an opt-in feature?
    Google associates all your accounts. That is, if you used the same actual personal information when opening each account. Thus, clearing the Web History once should do it for all your Google services and accounts. The effect lasts a long time, but I find it's best to check back every few months, just in case the opt-out has somehow been reset.

The Chrome Browser Web History may not be your only Google Web History. By default, I believe the browser version is switched off, or else it's easy to set it up that way. The other Web History is found at a Web Page (or at least it appears as such) and has to be opted-out to be stopped. Two different Web Histories, one (apparently) opt-in, the other opt-out. It's been awhile since I last did these settings, but that's how I remember things.

By the way, I find that using Chrome extensions seems to block Google Web History and Google Analytics just fine without these extra steps. I use Abine DoNotTrackMe, Disconnect and History Eraser. I did visit the Web History page on the Web to opt-out, but I am not sure this was really necessary once I began using the anti-tracking extensions and adding to their block lists when some new tracker shows up.
    -- Bob Primak --

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    Google associates all your accounts. That is, if you used the same actual personal information when opening each account. Thus, clearing the Web History once should do it for all your Google services and accounts. The effect lasts a long time, but I find it's best to check back every few months, just in case the opt-out has somehow been reset.

The Chrome Browser Web History may not be your only Google Web History. By default, I believe the browser version is switched off, or else it's easy to set it up that way. The other Web History is found at a Web Page (or at least it appears as such) and has to be opted-out to be stopped. Two different Web Histories, one (apparently) opt-in, the other opt-out. It's been awhile since I last did these settings, but that's how I remember things.

By the way, I find that using Chrome extensions seems to block Google Web History and Google Analytics just fine without these extra steps. I use Abine DoNotTrackMe, Disconnect and History Eraser. I did visit the Web History page on the Web to opt-out, but I am not sure this was really necessary once I began using the anti-tracking extensions and adding to their block lists when some new tracker shows up.
    Hi Bob, Thanks for the clarification about the multiple-accounts, glad clearing the history is a one-swipe action.

I'm still a little confused about Web History on Web Page (I only use computer, no smart phone, iPad, iPod Touch etc so no synching). I was trying to access the Web History on the Web page by following Fred's instructions: I did a Google search when I was signed into one of my Google accounts, then went to the gear icon on the search results page...clicked web history and the two buttons I described were on the next page (Turn on Web History and No Thanks). From this I was wondering if Web History in the Cloud is opt-in?

It's easy to clear browser history so I've less concern there. I also use track-blocking extensions so some of this, as you say, may be redundant.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by user ht View Post
    Hi Bob, Thanks for the clarification about the multiple-accounts, glad clearing the history is a one-swipe action.

I'm still a little confused about Web History on Web Page (I only use computer, no smart phone, iPad, iPod Touch etc so no synching). I was trying to access the Web History on the Web page by following Fred's instructions: I did a Google search when I was signed into one of my Google accounts, then went to the gear icon on the search results page...clicked web history and the two buttons I described were on the next page (Turn on Web History and No Thanks). From this I was wondering if Web History in the Cloud is opt-in?

It's easy to clear browser history so I've less concern there. I also use track-blocking extensions so some of this, as you say, may be redundant.
    That Cloud History you are referring to seems to have been changed to opt-in. It used to be opt-out. No need to change anything there, based on what you describe.
    -- Bob Primak --

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

user ht (2013-09-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    How to run XP on a Windows 8 PC - Rather than adding another layer of virtualization try Windows 8 Hyper-V

Enable Windows 8 Hyper-V
    Virtualize the Windows XP system to a VHD
    Copy the VHD to the Windows 8 system
    Add the VHD to Hyper-V in Windows 8 (You can convert to the VHDX format if you want.)
    Start the VM
    Install the Hyper-V integration extensions which add drivers for Hyper-V (Integration Services Setup Disk)

Here are some sites with How-Tos on the each part of the process.

Windows 8 built in Hyper-V
    http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/e...windows-8.aspx
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...the-right-way/

Convert XP into a Windows 7 Virtual Machine with Disk2vhd (Uses SysInternals free tool)
    http://www.zdnet.com/photos/convert-...isk2vhd/466650
    Downloadable version
    http://www.techrepublic.com/resource...?docid=2145025

Windows 8 Client Hyper-V : Create a Virtual Machine Based on an Exisiting VHD File
    http://www.petri.co.il/windows-8-cli...-vhd-file.htm#