4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question about virtual memory

My computer is running Win 7 Pro, with 8GB of RAM and a 2TB hard drive.

My virtual memory settings (as managed by Windows) are as follows:
    Minimum Allowed: 16 MB
    Recommended: 12237 MB
    Currently Allocated: 8158 MB

My question is, what would be the optimum setting for virtual memory, should I choose to wrest control of it from Windows?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    My computer is running Win 7 Pro, with 8GB of RAM and a 2TB hard drive.

My virtual memory settings (as managed by Windows) are as follows:
    Minimum Allowed: 16 MB
    Recommended: 12237 MB
    Currently Allocated: 8158 MB

My question is, what would be the optimum setting for virtual memory, should I choose to wrest control of it from Windows?
    The optimum setting is to let Windows manage it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I've used a fixed 4GB since Windows 2000 Professional, through XP, Windows 7 and now Windows 8.

It's never been an issue. YMMV.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    The Pagefile Done Right

To optimally size your paging file you should start all the applications you run at the same time, load typical data sets, and then note the commit charge peak (or look at this value after a period of time where you know maximum load was attained). Set the paging file minimum to be that value minus the amount of RAM in your system (if the value is negative, pick a minimum size to permit the kind of crash dump you are configured for). If you want to have some breathing room for potentially large commit demands, set the maximum to double that number

A "modern take" on the setting of the pagefile. (especially for servers and 64 bit operating systems with gobs of memory)

For me, it's 400(min) & 2000(max)

Pushing the Limits of Windows: Virtual Memory (Mark Russinovich’s Blog)
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-08-21 at 23:16.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. It all looks like good information.
    Clint, I read the blog that you linked to. From my perspective, it looks like TMI for me to completely understand, but I do understand the mechanics required to determine the min/max numbers. However (for now), I'm not sure how many and which apps I might run at the same time (although I'm a very light user, so probably not more than 4 or 5 apps). So I'll hold off on those settings til I'm armed with the needed data.
    Rui, I've been letting Windows manage the virtual memory since I got the system, and have had absolutely no problems. The reason I even asked the question was because I read that performance could be improved by limiting the pagefile size. My system is really quick (or so I perceive), and given the amount of RAM and HD space I have, I suspect that any changes I make would result in a virtually (no pun intended) imperceptible performance increase.
    However, as an academic exercise, I'll give the suggestions by bbearren and CLiNT a try.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Thanks
    Probably the best way to determine your usage would be to run Sysinternal's Process explorer.
    Don't forget to set it's properties to detail "peak" working sets.

And you will be right about not noticing much difference between the OS's default settings.
    But some of us here with a lot of memory clocked upwards of 1600MHz and higher, and fast SSD's, just don't need a whole lot of PF.
    So for me it will come down to a choice between conserving space on the drive and doing away with a large traditional PF sizes that may
    or may not be relevant anymore.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    For me, I see no reason for unnecessary disk writes to resize the pagefile. That's why I use a fixed 4GB. I don't miss the disk space, the pagefile never gets fragmented, and I've run literally years without issue. It's just a set and forget thing.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    In my Windows 8 laptop, 8 GB RAM, I have disabled the paging file. It's just an experience, for now, but so far I have had no issues.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post

LesF,

Hello...I also run 7 \ 64 Pro 8GB RAM / AMD Quad core and intel i7 dual core ( on two PC's) each without a "Page File" for more than a year now ,or there about on one of them ...no issues ..OK so I'm not secretly working for NASA calculating payloads for space shuttles.. Just a "joe 6 pack" doing the normal PC thing. Just switch it off and see if you have any problems, stopping ( lessening the amount) the CPU from "Hitting" the HD is a good thing. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    If you do try running without a page file, also check to see if there is a noticeable performance improvement to justify it. I'm of the belief that the less tinkering with the OS the better. I have used tweaks and utilities to modify Windows (especially Windows 8) but I always need to gain a measurable benefit in doing so.

Jerry