Thanks

Indenting blocks in Word 2010

I'm at a bit of a loss here. Everything I read says that Ctrl-M indents a block of text. That it does. But it also says that Shift-Ctrl-M "un-indents" a block of text. But when I do that it hides all the windows instead.

??

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You can check if the keyboard command was wiped by going to customize the ribbon, clicking on the CUSTOMIZE... button near the bottom left (keyboard shortcuts), clicking on ALL COMMANDS on the left side of the dialog box (Categories), and selecting on the right side UNINDENT.

An add-in, global template or macro may have superseded the keyboard assignment -- I vaguely recall there was a hierarchy about these that involved the "global-ness" or "local-ness" of the template and also the alphabetic name of the template. In any event, in my work situation, I am not supposed to mess with the add-ins, and have had to find "open" key assignments for my own treasured macros.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hernandz For This Useful Post:

CWBillow (2013-08-22)

Thanks
    Thanks Hernandz.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    That sounds like an action by another program, not involved with Word. As an example, Ctrl-Shift-Spacebar inserts a non-breaking space in Word. My ScanSnap scanner's software uses the same command to call up one of its controls. Guess which one wins - the global command for all programs. Luckily, I figured out which program was doing it and was able to modify that setting.

The hierarchy of documents and templates and which trumps which within Word is in my chapter on Templates - search for the word hierarchy. It hasn't been updated to include the building blocks templates but is otherwise still valid.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

CWBillow (2013-08-22)

Thanks
    Charles, I just found mine as well! I use Tray Minimizer to control pogs in the tray, and it had the setting to minimize all windows. Once I changed that, all is once again set.

Thanks for the idea!

regards,
    Chuck

Thanks
    You are welcome. BTW, as an attorney, I prefer indented text to be both left- and right-indented. This is best done applying a style rather than manual formatting. I have one that I use for quoted text that is both left-and right indented and single-spaced for use in otherwise double-spaced briefs.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin