Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8 security in a tech university environment

My son is about to start dorm living at a university full of tech type people, and I was wondering if there were any security recommendations for his Windows 8 setup other than keeping the firewall on and anti-virus up-to-date. He will have wireless on campus, but each dorm room also has an ethernet connection. His laptop has a fingerprint scanner, so no worries about that other than not leaving it unattended while "open." Any advice? Thanks!

Thanks
    Have him use MalwareBytes Anti-Malware as well. The free version is manual only scan, but is a fine tool. In addition to AV/AM updates, many of the Windows updates are for security purposes. Using a router between the university and his PC would add a H/W firewall as well as the S/W firewall on his PC.

The biggest problem with PC Security is the person using the keyboard. Stress the importance of not clicking on all the stuff that pops up. If something unknown pops up, it's better to use the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) to end the unknown popup. Many of these things have been reprogramed to activate with the Red X in the upper right corner.

Also stress the importance (this might be the most difficult thing) of not frequenting undesirable sites. I assume he's a teenager so this might be the most difficult thing to get across to him.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

imjcarls (2013-08-23)

Thanks
    Stay away from wifi as much as possible.

Encourage the use of drive imaging in a thorough & well thought out backup regimen.
    Encourage the use of drive imaging in a thorough & well thought out backup regimen.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

imjcarls (2013-08-23)

Thanks
    As can be seen in my signature, Clint and I are of the same mind. Image the system regularly. I create a new Image once per month after patch Tuesday. In this way my Images are always less than 1 month old.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks like he is going to be getting a USB drive for Christmas!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by imjcarls View Post
    My son is about to start dorm living at a university full of tech type people, and I was wondering if there were any security recommendations for his Windows 8 setup other than keeping the firewall on and anti-virus up-to-date. He will have wireless on campus, but each dorm room also has an ethernet connection. His laptop has a fingerprint scanner, so no worries about that other than not leaving it unattended while "open." Any advice? Thanks!
    I assume that your son has a name brand anti-malware security package installed. And I hope he is security conscious.

If those two are true, then he'll be about as secure as he can be.

I'm concerned, however, about the university "full of tech type people". If any of those tech type people are "rogue", then your son very likely will get hacked.

Two more steps to take in that case:

1. Avoid wireless (as Clint mentioned).

2. Don't use any credit cards to purchase anything on line. Paypal should be ok, if the paypal account is set up for secure login (when he tries to log in to Paypal, it will send him a text message with a code that he has to enter. Not only is that extremely secure, but also, he will know if someone is trying to access his paypal account, because he will get a text message.)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm with Medico and Clint on Imaging. My computers are partitioned with the system on one and the data on the other. Restoring system image takes less than 15 min and it doesn't affect the data partition. For an external drive I would avoid the WD drives that come with Smartware. They are hardware encrypted and data recovery can be a nightmare if it is even possible. Look for their Elements it's a simple plug and play drive.
    Joe