2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Choosing Windows Tablet Question

We are in need of a tablet running Windows. There aren't many out there as opposed to those running Android, but we will be traveling and want to have a small tablet 7-8" screen with a resolution better than 1024 x 768 because our cameras are HD.

Our security camera system software runs exceptionally well in Windows and this is the reason for the Windows tablet. We "nixed" Surface because it's too large to just pop into a pocket.

I see Lenovo, Acer and Dell and some others have Win 7/8 tablets available, but I thought I would ask here for advice from someone who actually has such a tablet and could give us some good leads. Thanks.

Diane

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Right now there are very few in the 7-8" size range. The Acer Iconia W3 is one. Others are 10" or larger. There will likely be a flurry of announcements when Windows 8.1 is released on October 18th.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for answering.

We looked at some small tablets today, and I think 7-8 " is pretty small for what we need it for. There are a bunch around in 10" range and I now think we'd be better off upping the ante in size range. I just didn't want us to have to lug a laptop around when there are small tablets around that could do the same thing and get tucked in a pocket or carryall.

D.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you are not in a huge hurry I recommend you wait until Windows 8.1 is released. There will most likely be a larger selection of devices. If nothing else for the 10" and larger sizes there will be a hardware refresh with newer chips, better battery life, and improved screens.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,

In my effort to do research various models, I did come across a C-net article that discusses exactly what you recommended. In particular, it says to wait for new models with Haswell chips for tablets and ultralights.

I do like the looks, capabilities and specs of the Surface Pro. Mid-Oct however is getting close to the start of our trip. Thanks for your input.

Diane

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The Surface Pro would probably be a good option, but I agree with Joe's assessment on waiting a bit, if you can. You are bound to find more offers with the new Haswell Intel CPUs, which will offer reasonably better battery life, which may be worth considering, if battery life is a major concern for you. If you can't wait, then probably the Surface Pro is your best option.

The fact is, there aren't many good options with lower screen sizes. It's easier to find "laptops that double as tablets", with sizes that go from 11" to 13", than finding valid 10" options - I am using a 12" Toshiba U920t that is a decent laptop and an acceptable tablet, for my usage, anyway (I couldn't do with a smaller screen size). I expect there will be more and better offerings in October.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I believe the "convertibles" (I believe that is what they are called) are a better option, at least in my case. The S/W keyboards seem to use a large portion of screen real estate in the tablets, whereas the convertibles (I include the Surface Pro in this category) have a separate keyboard. In this way the PC can be used as a true tablet or as a more conventional laptop.

This however is my opinion based on not yet owning one of these devices. Our PCs are both conventional laptops. YMMV.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Isn't the answer always wait for the next hardware/software release? There comes a point when you decide to buy but then you hear that a new 'thing' is coming soon. And new 'things' seem to be coming at ever faster rates!

Just my take!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Isn't the answer always wait for the next hardware/software release? There comes a point when you decide to buy but then you hear that a new 'thing' is coming soon. And new 'things' seem to be coming at ever faster rates!

Just my take!
    Yeah, that could be the answer. With technology the next "big thing" is always on the horizon. However, in this case we know the release date for Windows 8.1 is October 18th. Windows 8.1 will support more options in form factors, display density, chipsets, and better battery life. This may be one of those times when waiting is appropriate.

Joe

Thanks
    I would have to agree that waiting for a device with Win 8.1 pre-installed would be better than having to upgrade. How many times have we seen upgrades go awry. With Win 8.1 pre-installed, the seller is responsible if something does not work.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy