Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Windows 7 default monitor size display

I am using 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium, and ever since Dell gave up fixing my previous desktop and simply replaced it (actually with a better one) I have been having a minor but annoying issue with various software and Internet pages opening by default in "Restore Down" sizing rather than "Maximized." When this happens, most times the scroll bar is partially covered beyond the visible monitor view and difficult to use until I manually select "Maximize" display size. If memory serves me correctly, prior to the switch in computers I it was set by default as Maximized, but it is no longer.

Is there some default setting that I can set to have windows set to display EVERYTHING to "Maximized" on the monitor and stay there, unless otherwise changed? I have looked everyplace I can find for such an option, but can find no such a thing. Part of my problem is that after changing something some time ago in Windows I caused a problem, and now I am more than a little nervous to change anything without being pretty darned sure of what will happen. Also, be aware I have a "GodMode" icon set up on my desktop to use if that is a possible option, but once again I can find nothing in there that I can confidently go to in order to resolve this.

This is obviously a minor issue so far as problems go, but it has frustrated me for more than a year now. I can easily go to the upper right corner and reset it to "Maximized" YET AGAIN, but why do I have to and how do I set it to be done by default? I thank you in advance for any help you can offer out there.
    Last edited by decann; 2013-08-22 at 12:17.

David E. Cann

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    David,

I don't know of any universal setting, but have you changed the "Run" setting in the shortcut for each program??

Zig

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know what you mean there. I just know that there is or was some way to set the default for a new page or program to open up Maximized by default. It doesn't do that any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    David,

I don't know of any universal setting, but have you changed the "Run" setting in the shortcut for each program??

Zig

David E. Cann

Thanks
    Does http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...tion-bug-or-by help? It's a very long thread but as I haven't got the problem in Win 8 I haven't read it to conclusion. Good luck!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure if this is what you want.

Launch your program
    Then maximize it
    Hold the Ctrl down and then close the program via File/Close

Windows should now remember. Try that out. Reboot a few times, but it should remember this.
    Last edited by swatbat2142; 2013-08-23 at 08:20. Reason: more details
    "Every Thing Changes but Change Itself"

[Core I7 6700][Asus Maximus VIII Hero][8GB G.Skill memory][Asus GTX 980Ti Strix][1 x 512GB Samsung 950 Pro][850W Seasonic PSU][Antec 900][Windows 10 Professional, 64-bit][2 x Asus PG278Q]

[Core I5 2500k][Asus P8P67 Pro (ver 3.1)][8GB Corsair memory][Asus ENGT430][1 x 90GB Corsair GT SSD][650W Corsair PSU][Thermaltake DH-202][Windows 7 Home, 64-bit][65" Panasonic Plasma T.V.]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another way is to
    Click Start
    All Programs
    Find the program
    right mouse click, select Properties
    click the Shortcut tab
    Under the "Run", use the drop down menu and select "Maximize"
    "Every Thing Changes but Change Itself"

[Core I7 6700][Asus Maximus VIII Hero][8GB G.Skill memory][Asus GTX 980Ti Strix][1 x 512GB Samsung 950 Pro][850W Seasonic PSU][Antec 900][Windows 10 Professional, 64-bit][2 x Asus PG278Q]

[Core I5 2500k][Asus P8P67 Pro (ver 3.1)][8GB Corsair memory][Asus ENGT430][1 x 90GB Corsair GT SSD][650W Corsair PSU][Thermaltake DH-202][Windows 7 Home, 64-bit][65" Panasonic Plasma T.V.]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "access-mdb," even if I did muster up the courage to even consider delving into the registry and following the long extended (and very confusing) directions I see in this information and try it, then "the cure is worse than the disease." Put another way, the complicated and unclear (to me at least) steps to follow are by far more complicated and confusing than simply using the Maximize option every darned time a new page opens as I am doing now. Thanks for the suggestion, but I've gotten into trouble before tampering with the registry and am not overly anxious to do it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Does http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...tion-bug-or-by help? It's a very long thread but as I haven't got the problem in Win 8 I haven't read it to conclusion. Good luck!

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "swatbat2141," I've tried this more than a few times, and it rarely if ever works. Besides, not all are installed software, as many are clicked Internet URLs that I visit. Thank you anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by swatbat2142 View Post
    Another way is to
    Click Start
    All Programs
    Find the program
    right mouse click, select Properties
    click the Shortcut tab
    Under the "Run", use the drop down menu and select "Maximize"

David E. Cann

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    David,

Swatbat enlarged on my suggestion. However, if the problem is internet sites, it's the browser setting you're looking to change.

Zig

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Then what do I change in IE9, and what do I change it to?
    David,

Swatbat enlarged on my suggestion. However, if the problem is internet sites, it's the browser setting you're looking to change.

Zig

David E. Cann

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    David

(This may take a little futzing around, but I'm sure you'll get the idea.)
    If, as I do, you have an icon for IE on your taskbar, right-click it; a pop-up will appear, containing, again IE. Right-click on that, and select Properties. Set "Run" to Normal Window and click on the Apply button, then on the OK button. I hope this does the trick for you.

Zig

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Zig, that was one of the first things I tried. My IE9 interface itself opens maximized, but no desktop icons (commonly used websites) nor any of my favorites do. All have to be maximized every time, irregardless of what I did the previous time.
    David

(This may take a little futzing around, but I'm sure you'll get the idea.)
    If, as I do, you have an icon for IE on your taskbar, right-click it; a pop-up will appear, containing, again IE. Right-click on that, and select Properties. Set "Run" to Normal Window and click on the Apply button, then on the OK button. I hope this does the trick for you.

Zig

David E. Cann

Super Moderator
    Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce, thank you anyway, but before introducing an unknown and unfamiliar third-party software that MAY (or may not) resolve the issue, then I would rather just keep manually maximizing it as I have been doing. Likewise tampering with my registry as was suggested earlier by someone else, but I do appreciate your suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post

David E. Cann

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    Bruce, thank you anyway, but before introducing an unknown and unfamiliar third-party software that MAY (or may not) resolve the issue, then I would rather just keep manually maximizing it as I have been doing.
    It does resolve the issue. I used it for years.

I don't think there's another reliable method.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-08-24 at 22:47.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast