Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

No Power...And Yet It Blinks

Got a free Dell E173FPF monitor discard from the office. It works great. It is hooked up to an IBM desktop something or other. Both are on a powerstrip. When the computer is not on, the powerstrip is off...sometimes days at a time.

So why, or how, does the power light on the monitor blink orange every so often...days and days after the powerstrip was last turned off?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Take a closer look at that "power strip". Unplug it from the outlet and observe.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You called it. I unplugged from the wall and it stopped blinking. Hoping you will save me some effort. Is it just the particular power strip? Or do they all do that and there is something about this monitor that shows the electrical leak?

Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

when switched off there should be no power at any of the sockets. So seems you have a faulty strip which is not safe and should be replaced.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Yeah, I agree, you shouldn't be getting ANY power when switched off.

I'll do the same thing as you do occasionally when I'm gonna be away from the computer for a few days.
    Using the power strip when the computer is off is just a convenient way to power down everything
    else connected to the strip, including the monitor.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Plug a lamp into the strip and see if that stay lit after you shut it off..
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried a second power strip...and the blinking continues. I will try a light bulb next. I must have an incandescent one somewhere.

And more power strips to try.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No kind of glow at all from an incandescent bulb. Next...other power strips.

Thanks
    If you used a high wattage bulb it probably wouldn't even glow if there is only a trickle of current.

Try this.

Disconnect the video cable from the PC and see what happens.

Also, if you can, when everything is supposed to be off see if the indicator power light on your motherboard is on.

If it is then it's definitely a faulty switch in the power stripp

Thanks
    Tried a second power strip...and the blinking continues. I will try a light bulb next. I must have an incandescent one somewhere.
    And more power strips to try.
    Is that a surge protector you're using or a UPS?
    What exactly are we talking about here.

Names/brand/models please.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That will have to wait until I get home, assuming there is anything printed on them, but I am talking about cheap ol' power strips with plastic on/off switches on them. The original one was an old one housed in a metal cabinet with a surge breaker switch on it. And the one that is on there now is a solid hard molded plastic one with an on/off switch and no surge breaker button on it.

Thanks
    Clint, I was assuming all along it was just a power strip like he stated but even if it was a surge protector if he shuts it completely off I would assume there is not supposed to be any power to any of the devices connected to it.

But, I could be wrong...

Yes, the make and model # would be a great help.

I suspect there is a real simple answer to this but it alludes me at the moment.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have any USB hubs that are connected to a different power socket that is still alive when you turn of the strip? Maybe getting feedback via the USB sockets on comp just enough to cause the flicker.
    If you have see if you can connect the USB hubs to same strip so it powers them off also.
    Also check you don't have anything else connected to your monitor or PC via controllers that are powered separately from the strip.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Holidays and work crunches...but I will get the power strip specifics.

Meantime, I disconnected the monitor from the computer, so the only thing it was plugged into was the power strip...and she continued to blink.

Thanks
    Well, as Clint said, the make and model of the power strip would be of help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast