Lounger
    Thanks

different lans on my router

I had an old router that went bad so replaced it with a new router. Router configuration asks for the name of the wireless network but does not ask for the name of the wired (ethernet) network. I gave the wireless a name different than the old network name.

When I connect my desktop (Windows 7 Home Pro) to the router it connects and works well using the name of the old network from the old router. No matter what I do I cannot change the name of the network to use the new router's network (wireless?) name. I don't want to change the name of the new wireless network cuz my friends that come over have the new network name and password, plus our phones, ipad, etc have the new wireless network name.

Is there a way to change the name of the network that the desktop uses to the new wireless network name? I disable the ethernet device and when I enable it again it picks up the old network name, not the new wireless network name. Any new devices we add all use the new wireless network name, but I cannot change the desktop to use that name.

I cannot access my Windows 8 laptop from the Windows 7 desktop , it keeps asking for the network user name and passwork from the desktop computer name. I did not know I have a network user name and password? Where would I find my network username and password?

I can access the windows 7 desktop from the windows 8 laptop, but not vice versa. Is this failure to share because they are using different network names? Do they need to be using the same network name to be able to share files?

Appreciate any help?

Fred

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Are you talking about a wired or wireless connection?

If it's just the name of the network and you are already connecting to it through a wired connection, maybe this will help:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...on-change.html
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you might be confusing SSID or wireless network name, to help choose the right wireless signal to connect to if there's a bunch of them overlapping, with a network as a whole that is router-based. There's no confusion about which network to join if its hardwired so that really doesn't mean anything though you can name the network if you like. It is local I.P.Address based or network name works as well just one layer up from that and takes the form of; \\my computer name\, the double backslash designates the network status and a more specific pathname can be filled in after each successive \ after the network name. For instance, entering the following custom address in the network path windows; \\Acer-721-PC\Users\Public\Downloads, takes me directly to that network place without any network discovery.

What you want to do probably is make the DHCP LAN address range match your old router's I.P.Address range. That's all I did, changed the new one from the default 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199 range) to 192.168.2.1 (192.168.2.10 to 192.168.2.199), so that all my static I.P. computers wouldn't skip a beat. Once you connect the wireless computers to the correct wireless name (SSID) they should get assigned an IP address in the same subnet as the wired systems and the network name will be the name of the computer preceded by the double backslash.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    By giving the same Wireless network name(SSID) and security settings (if any) on the old router to new wireless router, your wireless clients will have no issues to connect to the new router using wireless. There is nothing like changing the name of LAN but you must ensure the IP address using is same as in the old router. Or it will cause trouble for computers configured for old network addresses.

In case if you do not want your friends to access admin wireless network, you can use guest account feature (provided with most of the modern wireless routers).
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c-8fdf7dcfb57b
    http://www.corenetworkz.com/2012/06/...-wireless.html

Is there a way to change the name of the network that the desktop uses to the new wireless network name? I disable the ethernet device and when I enable it again it picks up the old network name, not the new wireless network name. Any new devices we add all use the new wireless network name, but I cannot change the desktop to use that name.
    If you want to change the name of wireless network(SSID), you can do it from the wireless page on the router setup page. After changing the wireless network name, you must click on scan button on wireless utility running on your wireless computer to find it.
    Last edited by colex; 2014-02-24 at 11:11.