3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Packard Bell Laser drivers

When my HP All-in-one printer went belly up, I found myself looking for a cheap printer (due to lack of money). I picked up a used Packard Bell Laser printer (model PB 9805A) because I always wanted a laser printer.

Searching for drivers and manual I found Packard Bell laser printer were bought out by HP ( I think) and they do not support them.

Anyone know where I can obtain drivers and manuals. If not could I use another driver to emulate the PB laser. Is so, what and how do I do it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Richard Spring

Thanks
    If your Packard bell uses a PCL format (Printer Control Language) (it very likely does use PCL format), you might be able to select an HP printer driver. PCL was developed by HP, and for a long time it was one of the standards for printer drivers. (It probably still is, but I haven't done desktop support in a long time, so I'm not sure.)

I'm not sure which version of PCL is the standard today; probably PCL 6.

I would start by finding an HP laser printer which is the same age as yours and the same class (about the same features). Try its driver. If that doesn't work, then try a more entry-level HP laser printer which was made about the same time as your Packard Bell printer.

If PCL 6 doesn't work, try going backward -- try PCL 5, then PCL 4, etc. With each step backwards, you will lose functionality; but at least your printer will work, if you find a driver which works.

Another possibility would be PS (PostScript), but my thought is that you will have less success with PS than with PCL.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-08-23 at 11:35.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the speedy reply.
    I did try PCL6 and 5, but had no luck.
    I noticed that the printer itself do not show anything on the LED screen. Which leads me to believe there maybe a problem with the printer itself.
    Maybe it is time to pony up a few bucks and buy a NEW printer.
    It was a good try, but I seem to have found the previous owners problem.

Thanks again
    Richard Spring

Thanks
    Printers are cheap these days. Go to Walmart.com; you'll find a good deal on a new printer.