New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 and old XP sp3 in virtual machine

Hi All,
    This my first post, I think, am a bit oldish 80!
    My XP machine died but the HD is OK. I got a Win 8 machine and love it, find the file system a bit hard. Can I mount the old XP HD in the box and access it via a virtual machine? Any reply appreciated.

Thanks
    I do not use VM's but I would think you might have to install the XP OS within the VM rather than just mounting the HD and pointing to it from within a VM.

Back when I dabbled in VM's I had to install the licensed OS within a VM to use it.

Have you read through the Sticky Threads? These have some great info on using Win 8. Since it is quite different from XP these might be helpful.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

kalkada (2013-08-26)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Your new hardware is quite different from the old one, most likely, so a VM can be an option. One way to try it would be to use this small and free utility, Disk2vhd, from SysInternals. It will create a virtual disk in the format used by Microsoft's Hyper-V virtual Machines. Hiper-V is available from Windows 8, you would just need to activate it and then try to use the VHD with it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had better luck with Paragon's GoVirtual and I think it's still free to use but it may not be compatible to run on Windows 8 with a GPT type disk. Or maybe it will run ok but just not be able to show or deal with the main system disk which will still allow you to use it to convert the XP hard drive/partition to a VM.
    GoVirtual will allow you to make a VM of the XP partition compatible in any of the three most popular VM machines, VirtualPC, VirtualBox and VMWare Player. If you don't have 8Pro you can't use Hyper-V and VirtualPC is not compatible with Windows 8 so if those conditions are present I would pick either VirtualBox or VMWare Player type VM creation. Try both even, they are free to use.

Thanks
    Keep in mind that if you run a virtual machine in Windows 8, you will need to keep up with Windows updates and with anti-malware software both in the host OS (Windows 8) and in the virtual machine (Windows XP).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Keep in mind that if you run a virtual machine in Windows 8, you will need to keep up with Windows updates and with anti-malware software both in the host OS (Windows 8) and in the virtual machine (Windows XP).
    you won't have to worry about Xp updates for much longer

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Access??? Not sure what that means. If the HD is ok, just mounting in the computer and connecting power will allow the current OS to read the files. If you want to run XP, that is a totally different project. It is highly unlikely that XP is still runnable if the HD is mounted in a new motherboard.
    I believe you will have to get an imaging program, then image the existing HD to a format that could be subsequently mounted in a VM. Gonna be quite a project. Mounting a HD to dissimilar equipment in not easy. It is doable, but not easy. If you still have the XP disks, you might want to save all your important files, then reinstall XP. Then recover your saved files back to the HD.
    The good news is; all your files should be readily available to Win8.
    Good luck
    Michael

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used the Paragon Go Virtual with VMware Workstation and it works. The problem is that you will have an issue with MS over whether it is genuine or not. Only full Retail licenses are transefable.
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just went to a couple of other sites to read about Paragon go Virtual. The Original Poster said that His XP machine died, but the hard drive is still good. From what I have been reading, to use Paragon go Virtual in Physical to Virtual mode (P2V), the Physical machine has to be running, and the OPs Physical machine is not running.

Maybe I missed something in the write ups of Paragon go Virtual, where you can temporarily install the hard drive in another machine, and create the Virtual machine without the source Physical machine actually being running?

I have a couple of old hard drives that were take from machines and cloned to larger hard drives, and then put in a drawer. It would be fun to see if I could make a Virtual machine out of them, but without the computers that they came out of, I don't think it would work.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Of course one can make a VM from just the disk attached to another system; it does not have to be the current operating system. GoVirtual examines any partition/drive selected to see if it can identify the OS present and if XP or W7 are there, it finds it and gives you an opportunity to assign a name and initial RAM allocation. I'm pretty sure that the boot loader must be present as well but nothing else. The hardware pertaining to that drive can be looooonnngggg gone. How do I know? Because I just did, and I'm posting from the shiny new VM right now.

Now, anyone want a working copy of Windows 7 VM before I delete this 83 gig file I just created?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks to all. I might have been trying to be too clever. I had just been reading about VMs and thought they might have let me get data of my XP hard drive that survived a Power Supply and M Board failure. No need to reply just wanted to say thanks to you all. Regards

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Me confused no way? Just trying to say thanks to all who have given me advice. Really appreciated. Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, all you need for that is a $20 SATA/IDE to USB kit to hook up the drive to any other computer and read and copy the data off. That's what I used to make the VM on the different system.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, all you need for that is a $20 SATA/IDE to USB kit to hook up the drive to any other computer and read and copy the data off.
    I second this one. Done it several times. The drive wont work, but all files on it are available.

Of course one can make a VM from just the disk attached to another system; it does not have to be the current operating system
    Don’t necessarily need Go Virtual for this. I have actually taken a drive like the op refers to and attached to a working system. (IDE drives usually wont work on a SATA motherboard!!!) Next just image the drive(Paragon Standard). Next use Paragon to restore the new image to any location you desire. It will usually boot, but require reactivation. Typically XP allows 3 days for reactivation.
    If desiring to restore to VM, set Paragon accordingly for OVF image when creating. The OVF image will now work in any VM machine. Reactivation will also be required.
    Michael

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Paragon even has a utility that will examine the SATA or IDE system drive from another system and adjust it in situ so that it will boot on the system it gets attached to. Booting is a far cry from a complete compliment of drivers on recent hardware though and Win8 and EFI have further muddied the waters to the point where virtualization is the only dependable course of action now. Fortunately I have plenty of hardware on which I can still play with complete control and have a couple more proof of concept projects in the works.