Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Updates

I was gone and my computer was in sleep mode last week when updates came out. After getting home, the first thing I did was run check for updates. All it keeps doing is checking, checking and checking, but never found the updates. In history it only shows the July updates. So I manually went and found the updates and installed them. Yet, if I run check for updates it still just keeps checking, it should come back and tell me that no updates were found since I manually did them. I have scanned with Malwarebytes, run a full scan also with MSE and ran a root kit scanner from Sophos. Nothing is found!

I never had this happen and I am curious as to why this started. Any ideas? I am ready to re-load just because of this. Also I use Secunia PSI and it never showed that I needed Windows updates (before manually installing them). I just have a feeling something is going on, but can't figure out what.
    Bonnie

Thanks
    See if this helps:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks, but it is still checking for updates, no results. It doesn't even show the date under last time checked. All of our other computers in the house updated with no problem, except my desktop. The other computers were not "sleeping" only mine. I forgot to shut it down, which is what we do when we leave for a week or so.
    Bonnie

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Did you use the automatic troubleshooter, do the reset manually, or both?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I used the automatic (two times and did a reboot) will try the manual reset next.

when I open Windows Update the picture below is what I see. It does not show all the times I have tried to update this week, and does not show the updates I did manually. I get paranoid of something hiding, so I may do a complete nuke of the hard drive and reload. As you can see in the photo, it is in yellow, never saw this before.Windows Update.JPG
    Bonnie

Lounger
    Thanks
    access denied on manual reset - I think I will start all over with a reload
    Bonnie

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try a restore from before you went away, and don't use sleep mode, use hibernate, or close the lid if your set that. Sleep mode gave me problems. Turn off auto up date, let them download but you do the install what U want, check my last post.
    The tasks ahead of us, is never so great, as the power behind us.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    'Scuse me for butting in here, but what's the difference between 'sleep' and 'hibernate'?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shadow35 For This Useful Post:

S t r e t c H (2013-08-25)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow35 View Post
    'Scuse me for butting in here, but what's the difference between 'sleep' and 'hibernate'?
    See http://www.howtogeek.com/102897/what...te-in-windows/

Jerry

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

S t r e t c H (2013-08-25)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sleep is a power-saving state that allows a computer to quickly resume full-power operation (typically within several seconds) when you want to start working again. Putting your computer into the sleep state is like pausing a DVD player—the computer immediately stops what it’s doing and is ready to start again when you want to resume working.
    Hibernation is a power-saving state designed primarily for laptops. While sleep puts your work and settings in memory and draws a small amount of power, hibernation puts your open documents and programs on your hard disk, and then turns off your computer. Of all the power-saving states in Windows, hibernation uses the least amount of power. On a laptop, use hibernation when you know that you won't use your laptop for an extended period and won't have an opportunity to charge the battery during that time.
    Hybrid sleep is designed primarily for desktop computers. Hybrid sleep is a combination of sleep and hibernate—it puts any open documents and programs in memory and on your hard disk, and then puts your computer into a low-power state so that you can quickly resume your work. That way, if a power failure occurs, Windows can restore your work from your hard disk. When hybrid sleep is turned on, putting your computer into sleep automatically puts your computer into hybrid sleep. Hybrid sleep is typically turned on by default on desktop computers.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another thing that I've tried with success, is what I call a deep 6 reboot. Shut down hard, unplug power, take out battery, wait a minute, put it back together again and start up. My understanding of this is, that it resets the bios.