New Lounger
    Thanks

Internet explorer 10 crashing computer

I have just recently updated IE from 9 to 10 & have made a mess.

IE is crashing my computer & after few minutes getting the blue screen on death! By about the second page the whole thing is frozen & then crash.

My system is Windows 7 professional. I have run defag, crap cleaner, disc cleanup,& run error checking all the no avail. I had installed all the recent Windows updates.

Being old fashioned I suppose I prefer IE...the only way I can log on at the moment is to install Google chrome.

Can you please help me to uninstall IE 10 & go back to 9 Thanks Carol

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Carol, first, welcome to the WS Lounge.

To uninstall IE 10, open Programs and Features (Control Panel). Click on View Installed Updates (Link to the left). When you see the list of Installed Updates, highlight IE 10 and uninstall. Your PC will revert to IE 9.

IE 10 has problems with some Win 7 setups. I have read of few such problems with IE 10 on Win 8, but have read of several on Win 7 PCs.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies...I did manage to unistall windows 10 & also 9...have gone back to version 8 & will see how that goes. I was reading in another post that windows 10 is not compatable with 64 bit so maybe that was the problem. I am just finishing all the updates. The problem I am still having to a certain extent is the page freezing...sometimes have to close the whole thing down.
    Just feel sometimes that Im getting too old for all this technology!!! thanks again Carol

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Try using Chrome, it is much more stable than IE (any version). Also, IE 8 is probably not the safest browser around. When using browsers, it's always best to have the very latest version, since that version is the one that gets the more attention, security patching wise.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Make sure you've uninstalled the pre-requisite update for IE10, KB2670838 - that was/is probably the biggest stumbling block for most people upgrading to IE10: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838 - track it down from Windows Update > View installed updates/history ...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks you again Carol

Thanks
    Your interpretation of the article where you believe it says IE 10 is not compatible with 64 Bit is incorrect. Both of our PCs, running first Vista, then Win 7 and now Win 8 are 64 Bit. Both PCs have 64 Bit OSes installed. Both have IE 10 installed and both work very well.

I would definitely suggest using at least IE 9 as IE 8 is much less secure. I suspect your system may have some other problems that are causing some of your glitches.

Do you have someone who is more familiar with the technology changes that could help sort out some of your problems? It is possible some maintenance could help. I would try to delete all browsing history, temporary internet files, cookies ,etc. to start. I would also run the Windows Cleanup utility (If you type disk cleanup in the start menu search box you will see the disk cleanup utility). See if these things help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for your help...have gone back to 9...just have the occasional problem with the page I am on freezing. I do all the required cleanups so dont know where the problem lies.

Thanks
    Is Adobe Flash Player installed on your system? Is it the latest version: If you have an old version, this might be a cause of intermittent "freezing".
    Last edited by petesmst; 2013-09-03 at 07:33. Reason: Corrected a typo
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No not using adobe..only adobe flash player 11 active x