New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Strange Internet Connectivity Problem in Win7(64) & Win XP Dual-boot

My PC has Gigabyte X58A-UD7 Mobo, i7, 6GB RAM with onboard NICs (2) of Realtech PCIe GBE Family Controller. When I boot into Win7 it shows "Internet cable is unplugged" but if I boot into XP on boot initially the LAN icon has red cross mark indicating the the cable is unplugged but within 6-8 seconds it does talk to modem (ADSL) and shows "Internet is now connected". Once it gets connected in XP, if I restart PC and boot into Win7, it connects to modem and thus internet connectivity is established. In both OSs the NIC is set to get IP & DNS address automatically. What can the reason for this kind of behaviour and how to correct it? Pl help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Come on. So many experts viewing this and no solution yet. I am waiting. Please help!!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Is this from a cold boot?

Are both NICs wired?

Do you really use both?

Have you tried disabling one in Windows 7?

Is Windows 7 up-to-date with patches? Do you have the most current drivers for the NICs?

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Dud, hello. "Come on. So many experts".

I am not one at all but why have two NICs ? I have a LAN NIC and a WAN one but I disabled the WAN one and everybody is happy. Jean.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for response Joe.

1. Win7 is uptodate with all patches.
    2. There are two built-in NICs on-board the Motherboard. But only one is wired and the other one is not used.
    3. Yes I have tried to disable one of them but that did not help.
    4. On cold-boot If I start the win7 first I get 'cable is unplugged. But if I log in to XP the internet is ON. I have not tried to cold-boot from XP to Win7. But if I restart (inXP) the pc and log into Win7 the internet comes ON.
    5. NICs drivers are same as installed by the CD provided with the mother-board. I will try to see if some later version for WIN7 (64bit) is available.

I hope this helps.