New Lounger
    Thanks

Non-destructive install fails with error OXC0000005

I was trying to use Fred Langa's non-destructive Win7 install which he posted in Window Secrets in July of 2011 but it fails with the above error. I read on line about some recent Windows update problems with a Windows security update and uninstalled that, still no joy. Anyone have any ideas to spare me from having to a full install?

Jim Cummings

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You can try running sfc /scannow at a command prompt. Let it work and reboot after it's done if some problems are found and corrected. Then see if it helped the problem. If it's corruption in the registry, a system restore would correct that but there's probably no telling at this point how far back the corruption might go.
    The versions match right? Both SP1?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll give that a try. Yup, both versions match using my original OEM install disk (with SP1 on it)
    Jim

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Afraid that didn't work either. The install, I believe, got further along but then failed with the same error. Anyone else have any ideas?
    Jim

Thanks
    The method Fred described, although quite good, is not 100%.

My suggestion (please don't curse the messenger) is to start over. Install Win 7 using a custom install with format, re-install all apps and customizations, put all data back (you have your data all backed up somewhere, right?), then start an Imaging regime. An Image backs up the entire system exactly as it looks when the Image is created including all apps, customizations, data, etc. Then create a new Image each time you change something, or at least once per month after patch Tuesday. An Image will allow you to restore to the exact moment the Image was created is very short order (mine takes roughly 10 minutes). Your data (which most likely changes much more often) should be backed up separately.

Store the Images (yes you can store as many different Images as the media will hold) on an external device such as a Ext. USB HD or some such.

With these images you will never again have to use any type of reinstall (Fred's method or start from scratch install) ever again. Just be sure to also create a boot disk for whatever imaging S/W you choose. This is a one time disk that allows you to boot if the OS becomes non-bootable.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

bwc (2013-08-25)

Thanks
    This could be a permissions issue. Are you right-clicking "Setup.exe" and choosing "Run as administrator"?

Also, Medico's advice is very strongly supported (and practiced) by many of us.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanx for the good advice. I have been travelling a good deal this summer and the last image I made was in June. Everything is backed up on Crashplan so I may have to bite the bullet.!

Jim