Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 "Auto Crash"

Yeah, 'auto crash' is all I could come up with to call it. Sometimes (not often, about 2 or 3 times a week) after just sitting there without me doing anything for a half hour or so, I'll get the BSOD reading "windows has detected a problem and shut down to avoid damage" (or something like that). It always starts back up by itself, although I do have to click the "start windows normally" button or the 'start in safe mode' choice. I always get the little notice that windows had shut down and restarted. It has done this both before and after the latest updates, so I don't think they have anything to do with it. I haven't installed anything new lately either before or after it does this. It doesn't seem to damage anything, everything still works just like always. It only happens after sitting by itself for a while and never when I'm actually doing things with the computer. As I mentioned, it doesn't seem to damage anything, but it's puzzling and I'd like to know what is causing it to occur. Any ideas guys?
    Last edited by shadow35; 2013-08-25 at 10:38.

Thanks
    Sounds like an overheating issue. Open the PC and blow out all the dust bunnies with compressed air, especially on the processor heat sink/fan assembly. Hold one of the fan blades while blowing out the heat sink to keep it from over spinning and ruining the bearings.

Its also a good idea to run chkdsk /f after a crash.

Jerry

Thanks
    It's Summer so Jerry's suggestions need following up.

If it doesn't look like a heat/dust issue, carefully read and follow the instructions here, post/attach the results in a reply here and I'll try to dig deeper into the cause.

Thanks
    I'm just finishing a friend's PC that had a similar issue. The problem was a combination of lots of dust bunnies and a power plan that was set for passive cooling.

After cleaning, check your power plan settings (Control Panel > Power Options). OEM's generally like quite-running PC's.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"ЧCaptain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."ЧM.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."ЧSir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

BSOD files

Ok, here ya go, it's a windows 7 home pro system, 64-bit. OEM operationg system about 4 years old.

I don't think that it's a heat problem, I keep the innards cleaned out regularly and the fans are all running.
    When I ran the BSOD file collection app, I immediately got the BSOD, is that normal?

The file named Report is from Everest.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by shadow35; 2013-08-25 at 13:04.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Try looking in "event viewer" it may mention something related especially if you can look for things that happened around same time as crash.
    Also when looking for fluff and dust remember to check the cooling of the graphic card.

Could down load hardware monitor to see what temps you are getting from CPU and Graphics.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2013-08-25 at 13:42.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    34x crash dumps and all appear to be ZoneAlarm-related, probably a bad uninstall? There are also (remains?) Kaspersky drivers loaded along with what looks like your current McAfee security - all of these are likely to be interfering with one another.

I think the best plan is to remove them all during testing; use the normal uninstall/Control Panel/Programs route first - then follow it up using the specific tools for all 3x. Enable Windows' own firewall and install MSE to test.

Note: uninstalling any/all of these may result in another BSOD, this is 'usual' behaviour when multiple, deep seated, security drivers are being removed.

ZoneAlarm tool (direct download): http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/clean.exe
    Removal tool to uninstall Kaspersky Lab products: http://support.kaspersky.com/common/...e.aspx?el=1464
    McAfee's Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR): http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...33&id=TS101331

MSE: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...tials-download

There are some other possible BSOD -causing drivers installed, but let's deal with the man issue first.

Code:

BugCheck D1, {8, 2, 0, fffff88003716716}
    Probably caused by : vsdatant.sys ( vsdatant+17716 )
    ииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииии``
    BugCheck D1, {8, 2, 0, fffff880036a3716}
    ииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииии``
    BugCheck D1, {8, 2, 0, fffff88003735716}
    BugCheck D1, {8, 2, 0, fffff8800375b716}
    BugCheck D1, {8, 2, 0, fffff8800372d716}
    BugCheck D1, {8, 2, 0, fffff88003880716}
    BugCheck D1, {8, 2, 0, fffff880036a5716}
    BugCheck D1, {8, 2, 0, fffff88003759716}
    BugCheck D1, {8, 2, 0, fffff88003617716}
    BugCheck D1, {8, 2, 0, fffff88003b5c716}
    BugCheck D1, {8, 2, 0, fffff880042fc716}
    BugCheck D1, {8, 2, 0, fffff88002d4b716}
    BugCheck D1, {8, 2, 0, fffff88004328716}
    BugCheck D1, {8, 2, 0, fffff88002d09716}
    BugCheck D1, {8, 2, 0, fffff880036d6716}
    BugCheck D1, {8, 2, 0, fffff88003aaa716}
    BugCheck D1, {8, 2, 0, fffff880042cc716}
    BugCheck D1, {8, 2, 0, fffff88003b62716}
    BugCheck D1, {8, 2, 0, fffff8800390b716}

8. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

shadow35 (2013-08-25)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's weird, I did have Zone alarm installed a long time ago, but removed it (or so I thought - lol). I've never installed anything from Kaspersky, but will get their uninstall tool anyway. I'll let ya know what happens. Many thanks for the info.

Update:

Well, I couldn't do anything from the control panel removal system because Kaspersky and Zone alarm wern't listed anywhere, but I did run both of their removal routines that I got from your links. The Zone alarm one did find and remove several things and I was amazed at the amount of stuff that the Kaspersky removal found and removed. I'm also amazed at the speed up I've gotten at bootup and web connection. Way to go guy. I'd hit that 'thanks' button a few dozen times if I thought it wouldn't get me in trouble - LOL. You folks are great!

I'll let ya know if I come up with any more 'auto crashes'. HaHa.
    Last edited by shadow35; 2013-08-25 at 15:21. Reason: Update

Thanks
    Excellent, the first part of the plan went well then!

Now for some preventative measures, updating the other potentially 'bad' drivers.
    wdcsam64.sys Wed Apr 16 09:39:08 2008 (4805BB2C)
    Western Digital SCSI Arcitecture Model (SAM) WDM driver [br] 2008 driver version has known BSOD issues in Windows
    http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=wdcsam64.sys
    The second link down has 2011 drivers: http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/...ch/1/a_id/5419

sptd.sys Sun Oct 11 21:55:14 2009 (4AD24632)
    SCSI Pass Through Direct Host - Daemon Tools (known BSOD issues with Win7)
    http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=sptd.sys
    Uninstall DaemonTools completely, tool/method to remove sptd.sys here: http://www.duplexsecure.com/en/faq

Try using MagicDisc/MagicISO, or a different ISO mounting tool (but all of them are problematic for some!): http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/mi...c-overview.htm

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, I installed the 2011 WDM driver. the Daemon Tools says that I don't have sptd on my system. Everything is still going good so far.

Thanks
    Yes, you're correct, the latest crash dumps don't contain spdt.sys, I guess it was removed prior to those. Problem is, the dumps are actually old, latest is from the end of June. The data was incomplete anyway, so could you go through the collection App. again please, pay particular attention to running it as Administrator and having Auroruns downloaded and in the correct folder.

Once I have fresh data, we'll have a clearer idea of what's been happening recently.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Alrighty, here ya go. I think I did it right this time - lol. Put the proggys where they were suppose to be and this one ran much longer.

Put autoruns and the collections app in the documents folder and ran as administrator.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by shadow35; 2013-08-25 at 19:23.

Thanks
    Yup, that one looks complete!

There's another security-related driver (root/bootkit scanner maybe?) from Sophos loading: C:\Windows\system32\7AA7.tmp* that will cause problems at some stage, as will the Glarysoft boot defragger - so if you get a BSOD within a minute or so of boot up, with probably no dumps saved, you have an idea of where to look. * I guess it takes on a new name at each boot - you'll need to uninstall any Sophos software you'll have and look in the hidden sections of Device Manager to find it - look for the name MEMSWEEP2 and disable it from starting, if it still exists after the uninstall.

What we really need is 2-3 new crash dumps, that should give us better pointers.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, I did run Sophos back when I was having all the problems caused by the updates. I'll remove it.

If things are more or less fixed now, we probably won't have any more crash dumps in the near future (he said hopefully) - lol.

Update: Ok, Sophos is all gone and I don't see any memsweep2 happening. I seldom use Glary and never for the boot defragger.
    Last edited by shadow35; 2013-08-25 at 20:05.

Thanks
    Well, the boot defragger looks to me like it's currently set to run at each boot - W7's built-in defrag is so good that, unless you have less than 20% free space or a tiny drive, you really don't need any other. Boot defrag is built-in to the default defrag routine anyway.

Keep a watching eye on the machine over the next 7-10 days, if it does crash without creating new dumps, I'll need some serious descriptions/timings, etc. from you to gain much more in the way of clues = that or we can load Driver Verifier, which will probably trigger crashes and make your machine quite sluggish and hope dumps are created that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast