2 Star Lounger
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA

Add drive /run software from that drive?

Hello all,

I have been given an older Dell Optiplex tower that has a very small c: hard drive. I wanted to download and install "open Office" to use. Once I got the information from the web site downloaded and was about to install it said it would take up xxx amount of space. This showed the system leaving only a couple of megs left . I was wondering if it is possible to install a "d" internal drive and install software on it and run it without problems, leaving the original programs that came with the computer and O.S. on the C: drive. As stated this was given to me, however no manuals, no original o.s. disks .. Nothing.

I have heard conflicting info from local stores and was skeptical, wondering if they were just looking to sell me new equipment and move on.

I am not a guru with the computer so please, if possible, be as specific as possible.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and answer. It is very much appreciated!

Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Instead of adding a drive, which may be possible or not depending on the available physical space on the computer, you can probably replace the existing drive, while cloning the original contents, so that you don't lose anything. However, even to check this possibility, would be interesting to know the actual Optiplex model you are using.

A cultural area in SW England
    When you say "a very small C: drive", how small is small?
    Is there also a D: drive on the PC? If so, what is on it?

You should go into Disk Management (the method depends on which Windows operating system you are running) and see what the layout of the hard disk(s) and partition(s) is.

Rather than faffing around installing programs on your D: drive, I would probably suggest that you reduce the size of your D: drive and increase the size of your C: drive, but this requires information about how your hard disk is currently organised.

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Gold Lounger
    Johnson City, Tennessee, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by cvbs View Post
    Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and answer. It is very much appreciated!

Hello...To answer your questions ...

1. It could be possible to install another HD ... Open the side panel and see if there is an empty HD "cage" available for another HD... Some PC's come from the factory this way...

2. Check the "MotherBoard" for spare SATA ports , "connectors"

3. If there are no spare ports available ...are there any PCI (E) slots that are empty?

You're going to have to provide more detail ... Then you will be able to answer these questions ...and decide the best way to proceed... Regards Fred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)