New Lounger
    Thanks

Conflicts when using multiple dictionaries (Word 97)

I'm trying to use a large custom dictionary containing technical terms. The technical dictionary contains certain acronyms like "NO" for "nitrous oxide" and "IS" for another compound. This produces conflicts with the main dictionary and normal use of "no" and "is" show as spelling errors, resulting in very lengthy spell checks. Is there any way around this?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Conflicts when using multiple dictionaries (Word 97)

Are these acronyms always in Upper Case? You can have Word's spell checker ignore words in Upper Case. However, if you need to spell check your acronyms that could cause a problem.

To have a look at Word's spell checking options go to:
    Tools, Options, select Spelling and Grammar

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Unfortunately, I need to check acronyms too. It appears to be a problem of which dictionary is taking precedence.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, you've got me stumped. However, have faith - there must be others out there with the same issues with technical writing - particularly where acronyms are common (such as names of chemicals/elements).

KTYorke

I'll take a crack at it with the help of the book "Word 97 Annoyances" written by our very own Woody Leonhard (et.al.) (do a search in the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/postlist.pl?Cat=&Board=book>Books</A> forum and you'll find a glowing recomendation)

AutoCorrect Exceptions may be what you're looking for. Click Tools, AutoCorrect then click the Exceptions button. Click the INitial CAps tab. Now list any acronyms that are spelled correctly.

To take a line directly from the book, "If you leave a check mark in the box next to 'Automatically add words to list' any time you backspace and correct a two-initial-cap word twice, it will be added to this list. Then, if you later decide you don't want a word on this exception list, you can easily delete it."

I hope that helps.
    have fun
    KT

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, this didn't work. The attached file shows examples of what I mean. With the dictionary attached, NO (caps) and IS (caps) pass the spell check since both acronyms are in the special dictionary. The common words "no" and "is" do not pass. That's the problem. In the file you can see the spelling suggestions that are offered when I right-click on the "mispelled" words "is" and "no". Any more ideas?

Bruce Philp
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bruce:

I use Word 2000, so I'm not sure if there are some differences. However, I'm puzzled why the use of a cutom dictionary would cause other words to appear incorrect. That's not how a custom dictionary works; it only adds words that will show as correct.

Do you have an exclusion dictionary; i.e. one with an .exc extension? Exclusion dictionaries cause words that are correct to be questioned by Word.

New Lounger
    Thanks

No ... I've never heard of an exclusion dictionary. Why would I need one?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You don't necessarily need an exclusion dictionary. If you always want Word to question a spelling, then you would use it. e.g. if you often want to use the word "theatre", you would put the word "theater" in the exclusion dictionary so that Word would always question it.

Thanks

I think it's the same logic behind the spell checker objecting to microsoft (lower case); it only knows one correct capitalization of the word. You probably have to add the lower case words to your personal dictionary. Hope this helps.