Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

How often do you create a new Image for your PC?

To allow my Images to continue to be up to date I create fresh Images regularly, at least once per month. This allows restoration to be quick without having to redo a lot of changes since these changes are in your latest Image.

I generally create a fresh Image right after patch Tuesday each month.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-08-26 at 04:42.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Good reason to create a new Image regularly, in my case every month after patch Tuesday.
    Ted,

Hello.. Just curious .. why do you Image "After Patch Tuesday" .Wouldn't it be prudent ( unless I'm missing the point ...as usual) It be best to Image "Before" Patch Tuesday... ? That would protect you in the event ( or should i say the likelihood of problems ) from applying patches in the first place .Hey just "askin" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Fred, good question.

Here is my reasoning:

My Image after the previous patch Tuesday is up to date until the next patch Tuesday, hence no need to create another Image until after the updates are applied.

If however I make other changes between patch Tuesday's, I will likely create an intermediate Image.

By following this regime like clockwork, I can restore in the shortest possible time and have peace of mind if something bad happens, usually because of my playing with the OS!
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-08-26 at 04:45.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Another question, how many images do you keep? I image weekly, but then my image includes data as well (I suspect yours doesn't). I also use file history to back up my data.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I image weekly, well most times . I also image before patch Tuesday, sometimes waiting for the weekly schedule to arrive before patching, just to be really safe (even though system restore is active, which has solved one or two previous issues with updates).
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Another question, how many images do you keep? I image weekly
    access,

Hello... I like to "Image" every week ( OS type ) and before i try something , like testing some new software etc. I find it prudent to keep at least a months worth (4 or 5) for each OS.... Reason being is whatever happens you have the ability to recover , a month is usually far enough back to accomplish this .. Sometimes the problem (that i caused) won't show up for a few days or weeks The most important "Image" is the one i make when installing an OS for the first time ...This way no matter whatever dumb thing i do ,i can always recover to a brand new OS if necessary . After the months of Imaging, i then delete the oldest unless it's some "Milestone" type. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

My regimen calls for an image every 2 weeks. If I'm testing a lot o new software I'll do it more often and if testing software from a new source I'll image BEFORE the install. I also keep at least 3 generations of images and I also use 5 different devices so all my eggs aren't in one basket. This includes keeping one copy of my data partition image in a fire safe in a safe room. Yeah a bit paranoid but that's just me.

BTW: I have a spreadsheet that runs every Friday from a scheduled task to remind me of which of our 5 computers + NAS need to be done. It also has code to read the backup devices and maintain the list of what images are on what drive.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    From a retired non-Geek, who likes to try new things (and therefore has had to recover his OS multiple times): I have 1 computer system, a desktop running W7; and I use the paid version of Macrium Reflect.
    I take images of my OS and my data partitions "religiously."
    When I migrated to W7, like Fred, I took an image of my "pristine" system. That's saved on an external drive, that, like RG, is kept out of harm's way.
    After applying all my tweaks and enhancements, I took another image, and that too is kept safely off-site.
    For my regular routine, because it's no big deal and doesn't take me a lot of time, I take an image of my OS and my data partitions while I have breakfast. I keep 3 versions of each. One day I do these to an internal drive that's set aside for such images. The alternate day I do the same to an external drive.
    Being able to restore my OS, and not having to worry about losing my data . . . priceless.
    All this, and breakfast too . . . what could be easier?
    Dick

Thanks
    As I said, I create a new Image if I try something and decide to keep it. Generally though if I try something , then throw it away, I can easily revert to my latest post patch Tuesday Image. Since things do not change that much for me I find the regular monthly Image is sufficient, unless I change something, then an intermediate Image is created.

Yes my data is on a separate partition and is backed up independently to my C Drive (OS and apps).

I generally keep 5 or 6 Images for each PC along with a separate File History for each PC on our Ext. USB HD. I also back up the data from each PC to the other PC.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    BTW: I have a spreadsheet that runs every Friday from a scheduled task to remind me of which of our 5 computers + NAS need to be done. It also has code to read the backup devices and maintain the list of what images are on what drive.
    Excellent, not enough information is provided for management when the complexity of multiple systems imaged gets to 5 or more. Strategies must change quite a bit or it will just become a logistics nightmare...imagine the drawer full of image repository drives alone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    F.U.N.

Here are a couple of screen shots.

Summary Tab:
    ImageSummary.JPG
    Individual Computer Tab:
    IndividualMachine.JPG

This arrangement works just fine for me and I don't have any problem finding the drive I want since they are all labeled externally and with a Text file that my VBA code reads.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2013-08-26 at 14:34.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    How often do you create a new Image for your PC?
    Never. File History and Refresh/Reset is good enough.

Bruce

Thanks
    Bruce, to each there own. I just feel safer with my Images because the Image contains all my installed apps, which are quite numerous, plus all the customizations I have added. For me, this works better than a Refresh/Reset. YMMV.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Thanks for all your comments. It's obvious that the answer is 'it depends'. I don't experiment with my OS - it's just a tool to do my work (or play), so I perhaps don't need to do images so often and I certainly don't need to keep so many (11 going back to February). I am thinking of separating the data from the OS, but when I tried to create a new partition some time back, it wouldn't let me shrink the C drive to less then 500Gb (I've a 1 Tb disk). I shall have to investigate why not and if I don't find out why, I'll be back with a new thread!

Thanks
    Did you use the built in partitioning app or a 3rd party app? I have found the 3rd party apps can do much more than the built in app. For example I use Partition Wizard for my partitioning needs. The free version works just fine.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2013-08-27)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast