New Lounger
    Thanks

Shared printer - Win 7 to Win 8

I have a Canon iP3300 printer on my Windows 8 64 bit pc. I installed it using the Windows 7 drivers. My daughter has an identical printer in her home connected to her Windows 7 32 bit pc. Both printers are shared.

My grandson, Ben, connected his new laptop Windows 8 64 bit and tried to install the shared printer over their home network. Windows 8 could not find the "*.inf" file in "unknown". Ben installed the printer by directly connecting it to his laptop and using the Windows 7 drivers. It works when plugged in. But when he tries again to install the printer over the network, the same message applies, cannot find *.inf.

Later, Ben brought his laptop to my house and tried to install a network printer across my home network - it worked perfectly.

Any thoughts on how Ben can have the shared network printer on his laptop, like he used to before on his Windows 7 32 bit pc? Canon has a carefully and politely worded statement that means, but does not directly say, tough! You changed the OS, if the printer doesn't work buy a new one, we are not interested in the iP3300 on anything after Windows 7.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Homegroup versus Workgroup Network

The gurus in this forum will suggest you make sure WORKGROUP is your grandson's network setup and NOT Homegroup.

Rich

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Rich, I hope to get over there within a few days and will try this. Two things however, Ben can see the shared printer and go through all the installation steps except the very last part, when Windows 8 says it cannot find the inf file. Will changing the network to Workgroup help this? When he came to my house and added my (identical) shared printer, it worked perfectly over our Homegroup. The difference was that we both have Windows 8 64 bit. His mum is on Windows 7 32 bit (and won't be upgrading any time soon).

Secondly, a couple of tips on how to change to a Workgroup would be appreciated, I haven't done that before but I'm willing to try most things.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Homegroup and Workgroup Links

Windows 8 leave a homegroup:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blzv_BoE4wg

Windows 7 leave a homegroup:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ve-a-homegroup

Window 7 & 8 how to change workgroup:
    http://www.7tutorials.com/how-change...roup-windows-7