New Lounger
    Thanks

Import data from Excel to Oracle table

Hi guys,

I want to import data from an excel sheet to a table (newly created) in Oracle.
    Can anyone help me?

Thank you,
    Tia

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    People who frequent this forum are likely to suggest that you link to the Oracle table you want to import data into using ODBC, and then attach the Excel worksheet as a table, all in an Access database, and then use an append query to populate the Oracle table. All of which would work, but seems a rather convoluted way to approach it. We don't have many people with significant Oracle experience, but I would expect there are tools available in Oracle that will import data from Excel or delimited text format, much like the tools that are available in SQL Server, which many of us do have experience.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oracle has built in functions to convert a comma separated list into a PL/SQL table. Search your help for DBMS_Utility.COMMA_TO_TABLE. It has been years since I worked with Oracle, but I don't believe this is too hard to do.
    Export your Excel table as a comma separated file and import it using the above mentioned utility.