Thread: SSDP Service

New Lounger
    Thanks

SSDP Service

Several times during a session a window pops up asking me whether to allow connection to Microsoft and the connection wants to run a program called SSDPSVC.EXE. What is this trying to do? I have Sygate Firewall running all the time as I have a cable modem - and I have not given blanket OK for this program to access the Internet until I know what it is up to. Needless to say, I was not able to find anything useful, helpful, or even relevant in Microsoft's website through a search on the keyword SSDP or variants. Does it have anything to do with checking for Updates for Windows ME - I have been notified several times of these and when installing them have had my computer hang up. I am more than distrustful of MS in this regard after several negative experiences. ANy help appreciated.

Eric Kisch

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SSDP Service

Don't know about ssdp, but your problem with updates may be solvable. If you do a search of your c: drive for .inf files, specifying the size as less than 1kb, you may find thousands listed with a size of 0kb, called oem0, oem1, etc. Deleting these should sort you out.
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SSDP Service

Found nothin for SSDPsvc.exe. Found the following on SSDPsrv.exe:

WinME. For future Plug and Play devices only. Provides Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) and General Event Notification Architecture (GENA) services for Universal Plug and Play functionality. You can uninstall it by going to Add Remove programs in Control Panel -> Windows Setup -> Communications. Starts up a web server on port 5000.

Also a discussion of this problem <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.computing.net/windowsme/wwwboard/forum/13946.html>here</A>. Hope this is useful.
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.