Thanks

EasyBCD and a re-install of one of the O/S's

I am running Win-7 and XP alongside each other. I am having issues with the XP sound, so I may have to re-install the XP. I don't much like that idea, but I don't know of another way to get it to recognize the audio hardware. Is there another way?

If my EasyBCD is already set up to see both my Win-7 and the XP install, if I re-install the XP, can I just restore the EasyBCD setup, assuming I re-install the XP to the same partition?

Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CWBillow For This Useful Post:

kaybee (2014-03-06)

Thanks
    If you're having issues with the sound, it may well be driver related. Have you tried looking for an XP driver for your sound hardware?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    If you're having issues with the sound, it may well be driver related. Have you tried looking for an XP driver for your sound hardware?
    I did through the XP device driver update screen. There's a set of devices that are showing "?", but when I tried to find drivers, no luck. That's why I wondered about re-installing. Shouldn't XP drivers have loaded with the install? This desktop is several years old, so XP being outdated shouldn't have been an issue, should it?

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    What I mean by "looking for an XP driver for your sound hardware" is going to the hardware manufacturer's site and looking for XP drivers specific for that hardware that are provided by the manufacturer.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Since it works on W7, you should be able to get all the information about the audio subsystem from the Device manager or Control Panel for sound and then look for XP drivers from whoever the audio chipset manufacturer is. Very often it's RealTek but maybe Sigma or Soundblaster or one or two others. Device manager hasn't really been very useful since Microsoft changed the way driver updates work. Windows Update optional hardware would be the way to go but not if the sound isn't properly detected, but there you have a leg up already because W7 obviously did.

Also just in case there's a video card with HDMI in the system, XP could just be set to the wrong audio subsystem.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    I am running Win-7 and XP alongside each other.

If my EasyBCD is already set up to see both my Win-7 and the XP install, if I re-install the XP, can I just restore the EasyBCD setup, assuming I re-install the XP to the same partition?
    "Chuck-Key"

Hello..It depends... If you install EasyBCD on both OS's ...whatever OS you reinstall "Easy" will still see the other ..That's why i always setup EasyBCD this way Regards Fred

PS: What Issues?
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Guys, I got sidetracked...I'll check the mfg.'s sites this week.

Thanks,
    Chuck