Thanks

Unusual Monitor Issue

I have an 8 year old Samsung SyncMaster 244T that I'm in the process of replacing due to age and some other issues.
    It's been a good monitor for the time I've had it, a hell of a workhorse, but it's getting a little long in the tooth.

Lately (the last 6 months to a year) when I've powered down/off the monitor or computer, occasionally, it will not power back up.
    [meaning: no monitor picture or missing cable signal. The front power LED displays a very dim and blinking light]
    I get the very faint green flickering light on the front power button, but not the green full on LED or full green blinking LED.
    This, ever increasingly, requires some coaxing: Turn off power, unplug power and DVI cable, then, replace power cord to outlet, watch
    for solid blinking green LED to come on, then wait for the "check signal cable" to appear on screen before I can plug the DVI cable back in and
    effectively get started using the monitor.

50% of the time it doesn't and I have to repeat the steps, sometimes a half dozen or so times allowing for breaks in between.
    Only when I can get the front power button LED lit up fully will it post the "check signal cable".

Otherwise the monitor functions well when it is on.

I'm thinking it maybe a PSU issue within the monitor itself.

Does anybody have any ideas about this, or has had experiences similar?

Thanks
    CLiNT
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    I have an 8 year old Samsung SyncMaster 244T that I'm in the process of replacing due to age and some other issues.

Lately (the last 6 months to a year) when I've powered down/off the monitor or computer, occasionally, it will not power back up.

50% of the time it doesn't
    Otherwise the monitor functions well when it is on.

Does anybody have any ideas about this
    Hi CLiNT,

1. First i would do the "Monitor self test" for clues.

2. Next... "open-er-up" and check for bulging capacitors ... sounds like something is "Loading" the power supply ...If a "Cap" goes "Resistive" that would do it... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Thanks Fred, I'll open it up & have a look once my replacement gets here in a few days.
    The monitor's self test is unremarkable, as long as the front power button's solid green LED comes on- otherwise there's nothing.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    CliNT,

After 8 years sounds like it's time to B&S (Butch & Sundance) that monitor.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    A few days back when it took me 2 hrs trying to revive it I wanted to.
    Yeah, eight years is a long time. I've never had any problems with it, so it just passed from one build to the next.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Thanks
    Update:
    Upon opening the monitor and visually inspecting the circuit board, there appears to be
    three capacitors that are somewhat bulging on their tops. (in comparison to others) They appear
    to be associated with the monitor's power supply unit circuit board .

I don't think I'll go through the trouble of replacing them though.

Thanks Fred
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Update:
    Upon opening the monitor and visually inspecting the circuit board, there appears to be
    three capacitors that are somewhat bulging on their tops. (in comparison to others) They appear
    to be associated with the monitor's power supply unit circuit board .

Hi CLiNT,

You should do it, if only for the experience of changing them... Removing "Caps" on a circuit board is a very tricky affair , and requires special tools... ...So if you don't care about "klunging" the board ...You should give it a go. Never stop learning ... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)