Possible to insert a cross-reference on text without removing it?

I am trying to insert a cross reference on some text, and am referencing a later bookmark. Whenever I do so however, the text that I have highlighted for cross referencing dissappears. I am unsure how to fix this or what I am doing wrong. Anyone?

Super Moderator
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    When you insert a cross-reference, the cursor should be an insertion point, not a selection. If you have a selection then that will be replaced by the cross-ref you are inserting.

It sounds like your concept of how to insert a cross-ref is slightly askew from how it is meant to happen.
    Firstly, you need to know what you are cross-referring to. If that is a Heading, Numbered paragraph or Caption then you are ready to go to the Cross-Ref dialog. If it is none of those things then you need to select the text that will appear in the cross-ref and create a bookmark with that selection.
    Next, you go to the location where you want the cross-ref to appear and put your cursor there and then open the Cross-ref dialog and point it at your target.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia