Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Acrobat Reader Image

I have four older files on my desktop that are identified as Adobe Acrobat documents when you put the curser on them. They, somewhere along the way, lost the normal icon for that type of document - the 3 armed symbol including a red bloc with "PDF" at the top of the file. I downloaded another document today that appears as a normal Adobe Reader file. I don't know what changed the icon for older files, but something did. Any clues out there?

Thanks
    Unsure what might have changed the icon. Do the files open in Adobe Reader appropriately? Have you tried to right click the icon, choose properties, choose change icon, then find the appropriate icon (probably in the Program files for Adobe) and set it as the icon of choice? Not all icons will have this option.

I do not use Adobe Reader, haven't for quite some time. Many of us are switching to a different PDF Reader as Adobe is very large, resource hungry and much more insecure than the others. I use PDF-Xchange Viewer. Others speak highly of Fox-it Reader or Nitro Reader. All these have free options and can open PDF files within your browser.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Medico.
    Speaking of Reader.pdf, I like using Acrobat 5 itself, yes, outdated it is. I still use it to edit some files but some it will not open, the date of them is not too relevant. It opens some recent ones and not some older ones. An uptodate Acrobat is not justifiable here. Would you have a clew as to how I could edit the files that will not open in Acrobat, via Foxit, let us say, so that then I could edit them in Acrobat ? Circling a square, this would be.

Thanks for your attention. Jean.

Thanks
    I do not use Foxit myself. I use the paid version of PDF-Xchange Viewer. The paid version has some editing capabilities. I do not know if equivalent to Acrobat or not.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Hello Medico.
    Speaking of Reader.pdf, I like using Acrobat 5 itself, yes, outdated it is. I still use it to edit some files but some it will not open, the date of them is not too relevant. It opens some recent ones and not some older ones. An uptodate Acrobat is not justifiable here. Would you have a clew as to how I could edit the files that will not open in Acrobat, via Foxit, let us say, so that then I could edit them in Acrobat ? Circling a square, this would be.

Thanks for your attention. Jean.
    Usually when an older version is unable to open a file the problem is the file contains features that the older version, Acrobat 5, does not understand. Using Foxit is not going to remove those features. You'd have to know all the features added since version 5, which would prohibit version 5 from opening the file, and then attempt to remove them from the file while preserving the fidelity of the file.

As to what changed the icon for the files, are the file extensions are still "PDF" ?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To Medico

Yes the files open OK with Acrobat. If I look at properties for any of these files, the general page already shows the A.Reader icon as the icon for the file. I might add that the one file I downloaded which looked OK, now no longer does. It joined the other four older files as a plain rectangle. I don't know why the most recent changed its image on my desktop. That's weird.

To:JoeP517
    The file extensions are all pdf, and by the way, the version of Acrobat Reader I'm using is XI (11.0.03).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Your icon cache file could be corrupted. See How to Rebuild the Icon Cache in Windows Vista and Windows 7 for instructions on deleting the file. Don't worry it will automatically be re-built.

Joe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

lodidad1 (2013-08-30)

Thanks
    This is a Rebuild Icon Cache that I have used. Simply copy the code, paste it to Notepad, then save as a .bat file to your desktop. Now click on the batch file to rebuild the cache.

Code:
    @echo off
    cls
    echo The Explorer process must be killed to delete the Icon DB. 
    echo Please SAVE ALL OPEN WORK before continuing
    pause
    taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F 
    echo Attempting to delete Icon DB...
    If exist %userprofile%\AppData\Local\IconCache.db goto delID
    echo Previous Icon DB not found...trying to build a new one
    goto :main

:delID
    cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
    del IconCache.db /a
    pause
    echo Icon DB has been successfully deleted
    goto main

:main
    echo Windows 7 must be restarted to rebuild the Icon DB. 
    echo Restart now? (Y/N):
    set /p choice=
    If %choice% == y goto end
    echo Restart aborted...please close this window 
    explorer.exe

:end
    shutdown /r /t 0
    exit
    This allows rebuilding the cache without using a command line. If you check the coding, it does the same as the article Joe mentions without actually manually opening a command line and typing the commands.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-08-30 at 05:26.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

lodidad1 (2013-08-30)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe, for your attention.
    In this Acrobat 5 dilemma, what surprised me is that it will open some new files.pdf and not some older ones. I do read the site for the Pi Raspberry $35.00 machine. There are .pdf on it that will be opened and some maybe 1 or 2 months older that will not. Sure, I can use Foxit but it has no editing possibility. The whole thing does not seem logical to my mind, it could be me ! Is there a way to save one .pdf that would then be read in acrobat 5 ?
    No biggie, sleep well. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you need to save a file that will be opened in an older version of Acrobat you must ensure that the file does not use features unknown to the older version. You'd have to review release notes and any compatibility information you can find on each version since Acrobat 5. Then you have to have an application to edit the file and remove the features unknown to Acrobat 5.

Since you need a program to edit the file it would seem to be easier to just pay for Foxit or Nitro or an PDF editor of your choice and use it instead of Acrobat 5. They will all be cheaper than Acrobat.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Joe.

just pay

This is what I am trying to get away from. I paid dearly for Acrobat 5 and I am trying to go the cheap route to again do to .pdfs what I want to do. I might have to bite the bullet yet. OK, I will terminate this here. Thanks. Jean.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To: JoeP517

In your post #7, I followed the directions after clicking on the included link. I couldn't make it work, but after checking around, I found a Ramesh posting for Vista called "Forcing a refresh of the Icon cache". It was a 5 step process, and after I completed it, all the Acrobat Reader files on my computer were correct, with the right icon. Thanks for leading me in the right direction.

To: Medico

I read Joe's posting first when it showed up as a new message in my e-mail program. Your approach probably would have been easier than all the bouncing around I did on Ramesh's listings. I will definitely keep your instructions and use it if have a similar problem in the future.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad you it resolved. Thanks for posting back.

Joe

Thanks
    lodidad1, also glad you solved it. Many people do not feel comfortable in the command mode. This little batch file just automates things a little. I do not remember where I got this several years ago, but I have used it a few times and recommended it often.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I now have a folder on my desktop called "Icon rebuild" which includes the batch file I made using your codes. Assuming things go along as they should, I may in the future move it to a less conspicuous location, but keep it I will!!

Out --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast