Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Process that appears at multiples of 15 seconds for less than a second

One of the machines I use has WinXP home on it. I use it to run a music composition program - Finale 2008. I assembled the machine in early 2008. For the last two or three years it has had a process that appears at multiples of about fifteen second for less than a second. It flashes a warning in the lower part of the screen and disappears so quickly I am unable to read it. When this window flashes a process sometimes appears in the task manager for less than a second. The performance window shows it uses as much as 50% of the processor resources. I keep the system sounds off because there is a beep every time it flashes. If I open the firewall settings, the firewall window turns red for a moment and another red window appears below it for only a moment so I am unable to read what it says. Other than this the machine works fine as long as I do regular maintenance (scandisk /f every week and Norton Speed disk). It uses scsi ultra 160 hard drives like other machines I use except for my notebook - a ThinkPad T500. It has been a challenge trying to find it so I'm hoping someone has had a similar experience.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tenor1117 View Post
    The performance window shows it uses as much as 50% of the processor resources. I keep the system sounds off because there is a beep every time it flashes. If I open the firewall settings, the firewall window turns red for a moment and another red window appears below it for only a moment so I am unable to read what it says.
    tenor,

Hello... Just to be on the "safe side" ..download and install Malwarebytes Free (or free Pro trial) and let it scan your PC... post back with results and we can proceed from there... Regards Fred

PS: more "Info" would be helpful
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Firewalls keep track of programs accessing the outside world. Have you checked the firewall UI for programs you don't recognize or that look suspicous? You could remove a program from the firewall's "allowed" list. Then if you have the firewall configured to prompt you when a program requests outside access for the first time you should be able to catch it.

If you aren't sure of a program name you see post back and someone here will help.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I downloaded and ran Malwarebytes Free. It found nothing. I need to check the firewall's allowed list and set it to prompt me.

Thanks

iNET Interactive
    Thanks
    Use a video camera to record the screen and then freeze-frame at the warning?

Thanks
    If you can get to the PrtScn key fast enough, just hit it. That will take a screenshot of your desktop and keep it on your Clipboard.
    Then open MS Paint (or any other image editing program you have installed, such as the great Irfanview) and just paste the screenshot from the Clipboard into the image program.
    Hawk

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    scary
    but it could be legit
    it could be scumware
    or it could be legit scumware

finale was not supposed to phone home to verify itself
    which is why i bought a copy (not yet installed) instead of sibelius
    but that is a possibility
    turn off your internet and see if you get an error message

could be scumware
    run malwarebytes and the standalone microsoft programs

could be some unneeded 'service' like autoindexing that tries and fails
    or tries and is being blocked by another program

or it could just be the latest buggy code from microslop and that is what it does

PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT YOU FIND OUT!
    I am worried about finale being unusable as my music pc will not have any internet access

One of the machines I use has WinXP home on it. I use it to run a music composition program - Finale 2008. I assembled the machine in early 2008. For the last two or three years it has had a process that appears at multiples of about fifteen second for less than a second. It flashes a warning in the lower part of the screen and disappears so quickly I am unable to read it. When this window flashes a process sometimes appears in the task manager for less than a second. The performance window shows it uses as much as 50% of the processor resources. I keep the system sounds off because there is a beep every time it flashes. If I open the firewall settings, the firewall window turns red for a moment and another red window appears below it for only a moment so I am unable to read what it says. Other than this the machine works fine as long as I do regular maintenance (scandisk /f every week and Norton Speed disk). It uses scsi ultra 160 hard drives like other machines I use except for my notebook - a ThinkPad T500. It has been a challenge trying to find it so I'm hoping someone has had a similar experience.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I know it is not Finale doing this. It does not phone home. I have another machine with XPpro on it that I've used to run Finale. This one is faster, so I left it in storage when I moved here to Texas. Besides, the process flashes regardless of what program is running. It sometimes causes Finale to stumble during playback. I use Finale to rehearse vocal parts I sing in a choir. It works very well for creating rehearsal tracks for singers in other choirs I've been in.

I shall see about using a video camera to catch the frame. I'm not quite fast enough to catch it with print screen. The timing doesn't seem to be precise enough.

I'll keep you folks posted as I discover stuff.

Thanks

Thanks
    I wonder whether it's something like a 'RAM cleaner' type tool, have you checked what Scheduled Tasks are active?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I only had to spend about five minutes punching print screen before I caught the little yellow window telling me 'Your Computer Might Be At Risk' --'No Firewall Is Turned On'. Of course this isn't true as the Windows Firewall is turned on. I didn't do this with the task manager yet. This process only get displayed there every two or three time the yellow window. I recall I once has AVG Free Anti-Virus but removed it because it gave me problems I don't recall now.

'RAM cleaner'? I'll check what Scheduled Tasks are active.

Thanks folks.

Thanks
    I recall I once has AVG Free Anti-Virus but removed it because it gave me problems I don't recall now.
    Ensure that AVG was fully removed, any 'old' security software could cause problems if the uninstall was incomplete; AVG removal tool here: http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks - I shall try that.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I finally caught the process name on the task manager with print screen: wscntfy.exe. As I understand it this is part of the WinXP security system.

I found it in the ....\system32 directory. It's description is: Windows security center notification app. Apparently it is necessary process, but why does it appear every 15 seconds? If didn't have system sounds turned off I would get a beep every time it flashes, a VERY LOUD beep.

The contents of the warning window say the firewall is turned off which is not true. If I open the security center it says the firewall is turned on until the window flashes and says it's turned off.

Thanks for the help. I like chasing gremlins.

---Oh, the AVG removal tool ran with no report what, if anything, it did. I expect it found nothing.

Should I just live with this the way it is?

Thanks again for your help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    The contents of the warning window say the firewall is turned off which is not true. If I open the security center it says the firewall is turned on until the window flashes and says it's turned off.
    So, does the firewall get turned off or not?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help. I like chasing gremlins.

---Oh, the AVG removal tool ran with no report what, if anything, it did. I expect it found nothing.
    tenor,
    Hello... Just wanted to give my 2 here... Some " 3rd party Security " like Norton NIS, etc. will switch off the "Windows Firewall" and take control of the responsibility .. Could be that AVG has done the same ...and some "leftover" is still there, confusing windows.... Download and Run "Ultra File Search" a free program that can find "leftovers" Then manually remove ( delete) them from within the Ultra File Search program ( right click on items) Make sure that you only search the C: drive... Regards Fred

PS: You might have a "Look See" through the Registry for AVG also
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-09-15 at 13:58.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast