New Lounger

Mail Merge: Juggling fields by combining bookmarks?

I'm doing a "directory" or "catalog" mail merge based on an Excel sheet in a typical format:

No code has to be inserted here.

The problem is that in my Word document I have to group the first two fields of several rows (usually two), followed by the last two fields of those rows. So the output will look something like this:

A1, B1, A2, B2
    -- C1, C2
    -- D1, D2

A3, B4, A3, B4
    -- C3, C4
    -- D3, D4

My first thought would to use a Set field to keep a running collection of the records in the C field, and another for the D's. That is, each record would have something like:
    { SET CombinedC {CombinedC} & {Field C} }
    { SET CombinedD {CombinedD} & {Field D} }

So after merging the first two records, {CombinedC} would equal "C1 & C2" and {CombinedD} would be "D1 & D2". I'd insert them at the correct point in the doc.

But the SET command doesn't seem to do what I want: append "Field C" to "CombinedC". Am I doing it wrong, or is it not possible? Is there another way to concatenate fields from multiple records?

New Lounger
    Maybe this will work.

At the end of the odd number rows, I'll say:
    {SET PrevA <<Field A>>}
    {SET PrevB <<Field B>>}
    {SET PrevC <<Field C>>}
    {SET PrevD <<Field D>>}
    ...but don't actually display anything.

On the even number rows I show:
    <<PrevA>>,<<PrevB>>,<<Field A>>,<<Field B>>,[linefeed]
    -- <<PrevC>>,<<Field C>> [linefeed]
    -- <<PrevD>>,<<Field D>>

However, this only works if all the rows are in groups of two. Also, there may be blank lines where the odd rows would be displayed, but I can handle that.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Hi Shawn,

Word's mailmerge tools really aren't designed for this. A variation on the fields in my Microsoft Word Catalogue/Directory Mailmerge Tutorial ( might work for a simple text string or for adding numbers together, but that's about the limit of what's possible. You might do better to use a macro to run your entire process and not bother with mailmerge at all.

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]