1. New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows update not working in XP Mode on Win 7 Pro, 64bit

I installed VirtualPC+Win XP Mode yesterday and got one of my old programs working - yay.

However, I was trying to update Win XP in XP Mode but the update site only found one update which I installed. Now I can't even get the usual message stating that there are no updates

Also, Internet Explorer 6 (I think it is) crashes every time it is started.

How do I update Win XP and IE6?

Btw there is an icon in the system tray saying receiving updates but nothing happens.

Thanks in advance.

Per
    Last edited by peho; 2013-08-31 at 02:19.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Was it difficult to get the program working? If not I might just redo the whole XP Mode installation because I.E.6 crashing and updates failing are probably related, the one update may have been an update for the Windows Update process. One thing though, have you verified that you have a network and Internet connection in XP Mode?
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

4. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Was it difficult to get the program working? If not I might just redo the whole XP Mode installation because I.E.6 crashing and updates failing are probably related, the one update may have been an update for the Windows Update process. One thing though, have you verified that you have a network and Internet connection in XP Mode?
    I wasn't prepared to do a reinstallation at that time. But having now reinstalled Windows XP from the initial release on cd (no service packs included) on another machine, I realize that the problem to a great extent is one of Windows XP's update service. It gets really annoying because the browser originally delivered with Windows XP is no longer supported at the Windows Update site, so you need in fact to get a browser update before being able to get your Windows update.

Also, I think the updates were running in the background some of the time, but I was unable to verify what was running, at least with standard software afaik. The situation now is that I have both the other Windows XP PC fully updated and running, and the same goes for the Win XP Mode in Win 7 Pro, 64 bit.

5. Administrator
    Thanks
    Try downloading and installing IE8 for XP.

Joe

6. Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peho View Post
    It gets really annoying because the browser originally delivered with Windows XP is no longer supported at the Windows Update site, so you need in fact to get a browser update before being able to get your Windows update.

The situation now is that I have both the other Windows XP PC fully updated and running, and the same goes for the Win XP Mode in Win 7 Pro, 64 bit.
    Good, now to prevent ever having to start from ground zero and working through all that unsupported component crud, make a master image of the XP system and a master copy of XP mode. I take pains not to have to install XP from scratch anymore to avoid those bigger pains.

7. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Good, now to prevent ever having to start from ground zero and working through all that unsupported component crud, make a master image of the XP system and a master copy of XP mode. I take pains not to have to install XP from scratch anymore to avoid those bigger pains.
    True and for the XP Mode I used XP-More to create a backup as recommended in several Places. The other system has just been sold, so no need for an image.

P.S. Thanks for the initial reply.